Fishless cycling, maintaining Ammonia levels

1. GWitch Initiate Member

I am cycling a 270 L tank with ammonia. After 1 week the concentration of ammonia drops from 5 ppm to 0.25 ppm in 12 hours. Would it be a closer approximation to natural conditions if I topped the levels back up to 5 ppm every 12 hours, instead of 24?

2. toosie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

Congratulations on joining us during a fishless cycle. You are already ahead of the game. Is this your first fish tank?

Adding ammonia every 24 hours is plenty. How are your nitrites doing?

3. GWitch Initiate Member

Nitrite currently 4 ppm
    I have 3 smaller tanks, 28 L, 60L and 70L, set up under guidance from fish store that I now realise was seriously lacking. The 70 l is a cold water tank including 3 young golden weather loaches, hence the upgrade :) The loaches, danios and minnows will move to the big tank, the cory triliniatus in the small tank will move to the 70 L, leaving the small tank to the 3 otos who seem very happy there.

4. toosie Well Known Member Member

It sounds like you are getting on the right track. The Otos though, even though they are very small fish, actually require a larger tank as well. I know that isn't something you really wanted to hear with everything else you are doing but you might want to consider also moving the otos to the 70L. Even that is considered on the small side for them but it would be ok. A betta and some shrimp would be nice for your 28L. The 60 would make a great quarantine tank. :) That is something you will definitely want for treating sick fish and for quarantining new fish so that you can make sure you don't infect your healthy fish with anything new fish might be carrying.