Fishless Cycling Help.

Sheaclaw
So last night I tested my water and I've had a 2.0ppm ammonia reading, which I've had for a few days now, and a 0 nitrite and nitrate reading. I tested again this morning just for the **** of it and found I had a 2.0ppm ammonia reading but I had a 1.0 Nitrite reading and a 0 nitrate reading. Tested again when I got home and found a 2.0ppm ammonia reading and a 0 nitrite again and a 0 nitrate again. I'm curious as to if this is normal or not. I've used Dr Tims one and only but It didn't work as his guide suggested it would. I know it takes different time for each tank but I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and haven't gotten any changes at all. I really wanted to have Fish in it for my sons Birthday this Saturday but it looks like that isn't gonna happen. Is there anyway I can add like 2-3 fish and add a chemical like Seachem Prime and Stability while continuing the cycle process. Obviously not adding anymore ammonia and not add fish until the ammonia is gone.

musserump09
Many folks here frown upon it. If you find a hardy fish and use seachem products correctly there should be no issues. How big is this tank?

Sheaclaw
Many folks here frown upon it. If you find a hardy fish and use seachem products correctly there should be no issues. How big is this tank?
Its a 65 gallon.

Jenoli42
hmmm...that's really odd that your nitrite disappeared without nitrates showing (unless this is something special using Dr Tim's which I have no experience with).

did you shake the daylights out of the nitrate test liquid bottle #2 for at least 30-45 seconds before adding 10 drops to the test tube, and then shake the daylights out of the test tube for at least a minute after adding 10 drops of bottle #2? if not, you should re test and I bet you have some nitrates.

also, what's your temperature at?

Sheaclaw
hmmm...that's really odd that your nitrite disappeared without nitrates showing (unless this is something special using Dr Tim's which I have no experience with).

did you shake the daylights out of the nitrate test liquid bottle #2 for at least 30-45 seconds before adding 10 drops to the test tube, and then shake the daylights out of the test tube for at least a minute after adding 10 drops of bottle #2? if not, you should re test and I bet you have some nitrates.
Yeah I made sure I shook the heck out of it lol.

also, what's your temperature at?
84-86

Also this is my first big aquarium. I have a 13 gallon with 1 molly and 1 Dwarf Gourami.

musserump09
2-3 fish will not be enough bio load. I would do 15-20. Can't add any fish at that high temperature is it because of the the DR. TI'm ammonia? No experience with fishless cycles mate but with fish I can help ya.

TexasGuppy
You can do a water change, treat, wait 24 hours, then throw tss+ and fish in it. Supposed to cycle slowly with the fish.
.Do you have any live plants?

Sheaclaw
2-3 fish will not be enough bio load. I would do 15-20. Can't add any fish at that high temperature is it because of the the DR. TI'm ammonia? No experience with fishless cycles mate but with fish I can help ya.

What should I lower my temperature I was wanting to put cichlids in the tank. The ammonia dr Tim’s bacteria is suppose to use is ammonium chloride. So that’s what I’ve been using.

TexasGuppy
It's a good temp for fishless cycling, but you'll need to match the temp depending on what fish you get.

Does your ammonia make bubbles when you shake it? Did you add conditioner to the tap water?

musserump09
I was not sure temperature had anything to do with using the ammonia. Not a expert on temperature but Google said 72-82. I use to own convicts and keep them at 78-80. With no issues

Sheaclaw
Does your ammonia make bubbles when you shake it? Did you add conditioner to the tap water?

It doesn’t make bubbles that I’ve noticed and yeah I always condition the water before I add in water for a water change. I have 4 5 gallon buckets and I fill them and add chemical and let it sit for about 30 mins then add it.

I was not sure temperature had anything to do with using the ammonia. Not a expert on temperature but Google said 72-82. I use to own convicts and keep them at 78-80. With no issues

Okay I’ll drop the temperature. So what steps should I take to add fish within the weekend? If it’s possible.

TexasGuppy
Id do the tetra safestart+ approach.. several people have reported success. You'll have fishies in by Saturday.

musserump09
I'm not much for rushing when it comes to this hobby but since you insist there is a way. What kind of cichlids African or south American? Juvenile fish is the best way to add to avoid territory issues and they learn to live amongst each as they age.

Sheaclaw
I'm not much for rushing when it comes to this hobby but since you insist there is a way. What kind of cichlids African or south American? Juvenile fish is the best way to add to avoid territory issues and they learn to live amongst each as they age.

Probably american

musserump09
If you put fish in now with seachem products I'm willing to bet you might be showing off a cloudy tank....but maybe not who knows bigger water more time so you could be fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
Caffee
Replies
Views
fishydudez
Replies
Views