Fishless Cycling Help

1. AquariumNoob1988

AquariumNoob1988 Valued Member Member

Hello everyone i am new to the hobby and i could use a little help on getting started, I purchased a 29 gallon tank aqueon bundle and replaced the filter with something a little stronger then the filter that came with it, so far i have a Aqua Clear 50 filter with biomax, chemi pure & Carbon and of course the sponge and i would like to do a fishless cycle using Dr Tims one and only nitrifying bacteria + Dr Tims Amonia with the help of the API Master Test Kit and i can't figure out how to get started do i add the bacteria first if so the whole bottle? then add the amonia? any help would greatly be appreciated

2. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Congrats and welcome to Fishlore! Great call on the Aqua Clear! Highly recommended HOB. Unfortunately I have no experience with Dr. Tims but I have heard good things. Hopefully someone will come along and help. Do you already have the master test kit? If so, you could take a few baseline readings of your tap water to get a starting point for future reference. It is important to know for when you do water changes further down the line in your cycling. Also you want to make sure your pH is higher than 6.0.

3. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

4. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

thank you so much for the fast replies it all feels so over whelming but with time and patience ik i will have a healthy thriving community tank and as for the test kit yes i do have the master test kit ill get to testing my tap water asap for the PH and the supplies i bought for the future Are stress coat + and proper ph 7.0 and aqaurium salt and a 100w heater anything else i may need or am i good to go with getting it started?

5. jhigg008

Some of the things that I have been happy to have on had:
    1. An airpump with airstone and airline - comes in handy especially when you need the temp but certainly not necessary
    2. Seachem Stability
    3. Seachem Paraguard
    4. Extra bio media
    5. Digital thermometer

Oh btw most people on here suggest that you not us pH modifying chemicals (ie the pH plus). Most fish can acclimate to a wide range of pH. But if there is a pH issue there are plenty of forum members who can help.

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

I'd return the Stress Coat+ and get Seachem Prime instead. Prime is much better in that it will also detoxify the ammonia and nitrite as well as removing the chlorine/chloramines.

I'd personally return everything else too - the proper pH (there are better, more natural ways to adjust pH and you may not even need it), the salt is not needed for freshwater aquariums and the 100w heater I would exchange for a 150w.

7. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

i have returned the stress coat and got prime and seachem paraguard and 2 stick on thermometers and a glass one to use during water changes and i got a tetra whisper 40 gallon airpump with stone and airline hose + aqueon pro heater 150w and as for the fishless cycling im not sure if i put all the decorations in first or after i do the cycling process and do i fully assemble the Aquaclear 50 with biomax, sponge and chemi or do i leave that out? thank you for the help

8. el337

Did you get check valves for the airline hose? It's important to prevent the tank water from back siphoning.

You can set everything up now to make it easier. Do you have substrate in there already? Yes, you'll want to set up and run the filter and heater after filling the tank with treated tap water.

9. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

yes i installed a check valve to it to make sure it does not run up the hose and back into the air pump and i have not added the substrate or decoration yet as i am in a debate between ultra fine black or white gravel

10. el337

Are you planning to stock any bottom feeders like loaches or corys? If so, I would get sand.

11. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

yes i am looking to getting 8 pymy corycats

12. el337

Pygmy corys spend a lot of time mid level and I don't know what the rest of your planned stocking is but just thought I'd let you know that. If you wanted to go for another dwarf cory that stays on the bottom, habrosus corys are another option. :)

13. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

my stocking plans were 8 cardinal tetras, 8 ember tetras, 1 German blue Ram, 6 Dwarf Corycats, and maybe 5 treadfin rainbows all males or 1 silver viel angel fish hope thats not to many fish for a 29 gallon

14. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

You add everything to the tank regarding decorations, add water, start the filter & heater, add dechlorinator, WAIT 24 HOURS, add ammonia then bacterial additive. Begin checking your levels daily.

Welcome to the forum & the hobby!

15. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

thank you Mom2some for the input all the help is greatly appreciated and good to know i am not alone getting into this hobby!

16. el337

I think 3 schools might be too much. I'd narrow it down to just 2 and maybe choose a warmer water cory because of the GBR. Aeneus, sterbai, b. splendens are some.

17. jhigg008

Hey there! Rams require a higher temp (80-82 F), thus you might consider sterbai cories. Not sure about the threadfin rainbows. You could swap them out for gouramis.