Fishless Cycling, All Parameters Showing?

Bettabetta000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just quick question. I'm on the 3rd day of cycling. I have been dosing Stability each day. I used Prime as the water conditioner.

Running an Aqueon Quietflow and a sponge filter. 5.5 gal. Using Dr. Tim's as ammonia source. Temp 82F. Planted with driftwood, buce, dwarf sag, anubias, java fern, jungle val, and crypts.

Here are the results:

8/27--> 2, 0, 0
8/28--> 2, 1, 20 pH 6
8/29--> 2, 2, 20-30 pH 6.4

Why are all three parameters showing up? I don't think this is normal. Should I do a PWC to lower nitrates, or nitrites?

I ordered a bag of crushed coral to raise the pH a bit. Tap water sitting for 12 hours: 7.2. Will test in 12 more hours.

Any help or opinion is appreciated! Thank you so much!

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello
You are only in 3rd day cycle process will take anywhere from 2 – 8 weeks. Only after the second or third week the aquarium water should be tested. The nitrite should spike around the second week of cycling. After this it will begin to convert to nitrates. When the nitrite has spiked and fallen to 0ppm (anywhere from 2-8 weeks) you are able to add some fish into the aquarium (very slowly). Ensure your ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm at this point in time than you can also perform small water change.
Do this slowly as there is limited bacteria in the filter. Adding new fish too quickly or make large water change will result spike ammonia levels and result in a mini-cycle.
Once the nitrite and ammonia are stable at 0ppm is end of cycle.If after 8 weeks the ammonia levels have not dropped you should consult your local fish store. It is likely due to inadequate filtration..

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With you pH being so low, you may never cycle the tank. The reason is that at a pH below 7.0 ammonia starts turning into ammonium, and by the time your pH hits 6.0, all ammonia has turned into ammonium. The good thing about ammonium is that it is far less toxic than ammonia (some claim it is non-toxic). The bad thing about ammonium is that it is a terrible food source for the bacteria and a low pH makes it somewhere between difficult to impossible to cycle.

You may want to add some crushed coral to your filter. The guideline is 1 cup per 30 gallons.The crushed coral will raise the KH and pH of your water and will allow your tank to cycle. You didn't say what size tank you have, but if it's a small tank, you could just use a cuttle bone (like they sell in the bird department). If you use that, just make sure it is plain white with no added flavorings.

Best of luck!

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I suspect most of these readings are coming from the Stability you are adding.

Ninja'd by Donthemon since I was going to ask: What is your ammonia source?

Bettabetta000

Valued Member
Reaction score

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettabetta000 said:
If it were me I wouldn't run any test other than the ammonia test until you have done the 7 day course of Stability.

It is good that you are getting crushed coral to get that PH up.

edited to ask: Did the driftwood and plants come from a cycled tank?

Bettabetta000

Valued Member
Reaction score
mattgirl said:
If it were me I wouldn't run any test other than the ammonia test until you have done the 7 day course of Stability.

It is good that you are getting crushed coral to get that PH up.

edited to ask: Did the driftwood and plants come from a cycled tank?
Ok good to know! Will let it run and retest in a few days then.

The driftwood came dried so I had to boil it and soak it to make it waterlogged.

Some plants were tissue cultures and Jungle Val and Buce were tank plants but I purchased them from Buceplant.com, not sure if they have cycled tanks or not. I did find a bladder snail last night which amazes me because ammonia is 2 and it was just scooting along like nothing!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettabetta000 said:
Ok good to know! Will let it run and retest in a few days then.

The driftwood came dried so I had to boil it and soak it to make it waterlogged.

Some plants were tissue cultures and Jungle Val and Buce were tank plants but I purchased them from Buceplant.com, not sure if they have cycled tanks or not. I did find a bladder snail last night which amazes me because ammonia is 2 and it was just scooting along like nothing!
The reason I asked is if these things had been in a cycled tank they would have had some bacteria on them to help out the cycle but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Snails are pretty tough little guys. They can handle a lot more ammonia than our fish can. If you find one or two there will probably be more. If you don't want to be overrun with them be sure to remove every one you see.

Bettabetta000

Valued Member
Reaction score
mattgirl said:
The reason I asked is if these things had been in a cycled tank they would have had some bacteria on them to help out the cycle but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Snails are pretty tough little guys. They can handle a lot more ammonia than our fish can. If you find one or two there will probably be more. If you don't want to be overrun with them be sure to remove every one you see.
Oh gosh, I know. I removed the one from last night but I'm sure there are more lurking around. There's some dead plant matter which may result in a boom in population but I'll remove most of what I can see. Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom