Fishless Cycle - Page 2

Greener099

Hi, I need some advice please.

I started my fishless cycle on 3/6/21 started at 4ppm, in a Juwel190 tank, 9/6/21 it dropped to 2ppm so topped it back up to 4ppm, same on the 15/6/21, I started having Nitrite up until the 19/6/21 and now nothing, it seems to have gone back to 0 from 2.0, on the same day I had 20.0 Nitrate showing and now back to 0, is this normal or has something gone wrong? I'm new to all of these and need some advice. Many thanks.

mattgirl

Good morning mattgirl fishless cycle now been going on for just over 7 weeks, today's test results ammonia 1 (still hasn't dropped to 0), Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 10. I'm still unsure why my ammonia has never dropped to 0, I'm starting to get inpatient now and just want to add fish to the tank.
The answer to jdhef 's question may help us out. Thank you bunches for helping me out. I failed to ask that one important question.

Greener099

The answer to jdhef 's question may help us out. Thank you bunches for helping me out. I failed to ask that one important question.
My pH level is 8, I'll take a photo of my tank in a bit once the light comes on looks really messy alot of algea growth looks like a really dirty tank

mattgirl

My pH level is 8, I'll take a photo of my tank in a bit once the light comes on looks really messy alot of algea growth looks like a really dirty tank
pH isn't slowing down the cycling process. I help a lot of folks so tend to forget. How long has it been since you changed out some of the water? We may need to refresh the minerals.

Greener099

Done a water change on 15th July. This is how my tank looks.

Attachments

• 16271408287188945583512268282456.jpg
    16271408287188945583512268282456.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 22

mattgirl

Done a water change on 15th July. This is how my tank looks.
You shouldn't need another water change right now then.

Beautiful tank. Does the algae on the sand feel kinda slimy? Is it also growing on all the other surfaces in the tank? If it feels slimy it may not be algae but instead could be cyanobacteria. It is actually easier to deal with than algae. A product called UltraLife blue-green slime remover will quickly and easily kill it off. This product won't affect the cycle or fish so is safe to use even while cycling.

Flyfisha

Hey jdhef,
I watched an interesting video from prime time aquatics not long ago. I think it was this one in the link. It was news to me that there are multiple strains of bacteria , some of which prefer different levels of PH . As long as PH is stable even low levels of PH can have the necessary bacteria if I understand the video correctly ?

Greener099

You shouldn't need another water change right now then.

Beautiful tank. Does the algae on the sand feel kinda slimy? Is it also growing on all the other surfaces in the tank? If it feels slimy it may not be algae but instead could be cyanobacteria. It is actually easier to deal with than algae. A product called UltraLife blue-green slime remover will quickly and easily kill it off. This product won't affect the cycle or fish so is safe to use even while cycling.
Yes it sort of peels off everything in a sheet like form. I will order some of that now.

mattgirl

Yes it sort of peels off everything in a sheet like form. I will order some of that now.
Yep, cyanobacteria. Often it also smells pretty bad. When you get the ultralife just follow the easy to understand directions and this ugly stuff should soon be gone. I went ahead and added it the second time although it looked like the first one killed it off. Fortunately it hasn't come back in either tank I had it in.

You may find your cycle moving forward much quicker once this stuff is out of there.

Greener099

Is this the one?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210724_173911_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724_173911_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 16

Greener099

Greener099

Good morning mattgirl, thought I would give you an update on the tank situation, Ammonia has been at 1ppm, Nitrite between 0 & 0.5, Nitrate between 10 & 20 since the 19/7/21, I've added to airstones in and added more plants too, which seem to be making the tank look more healthier, still waiting for the ammonia to drop to 0 though.

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_095539.jpg
    IMG_20210731_095539.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 15

mattgirl

It looks like you got rid of the cyanobacteria. the tank looks much better.

If you have been seeing these same numbers since July 19th then I have to think this cycle is stalled. Go ahead and change out at least half the water. Quite often a simple water change will get things moving forward again. Cycling can deplete minerals. Water changes will replenish them.

Greener099

It looks like you got rid of the cyanobacteria. the tank looks much better.

If you have been seeing these same numbers since July 19th then I have to think this cycle is stalled. Go ahead and change out at least half the water. Quite often a simple water change will get things moving forward again. Cycling can deplete minerals. Water changes will replenish them.
I'll do a water change tomorrow, as out all day today and will do it every few days and see what happens. Keep topping it back up to 2ppm each time?

mattgirl

I'll do a water change tomorrow, as out all day today and will do it every few days and see what happens. Keep topping it back up to 2ppm each time?
No need to do water changes every few days. I suspect the one 50% water change will get things moving forward. Yes, get it back up to 2ppm each time it gets down to or close to zero.

The cyanobacteria was possibly eating up the minerals even faster than the cycling process was. Now that it is gone and once the minerals are replenished with the water change things should start moving forward quickly.

Greener099

No need to do water changes every few days. I suspect the one 50% water change will get things moving forward. Yes, get it back up to 2ppm each time it gets down to or close to zero.

The cyanobacteria was possibly eating up the minerals even faster than the cycling process was. Now that it is gone and once the minerals are replenished with the water change things should start moving forward quickly.
If I do a 50% change do you think I would need to do another one after that?

mattgirl

If I do a 50% change do you think I would need to do another one after that?
Probably not until the cycle is complete. The numbers will answer that question for us. Of course once you get fish in this tank they will need to be done often. I recommend weekly water changes to keep the water fresh and clean for your fish.

Greener099

Fingers crossed won't be long now, as my 3 kids are desperate to get their new fish

Greener099

So today was the day I finally had 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 20 Nitrate

Greener099

4 days in a row now, I've had 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 20 Nitrate, does this mean my tank finally looks like it might be cycled?

mattgirl

4 days in a row now, I've had 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 20 Nitrate, does this mean my tank finally looks like it might be cycled?
Yay, if you have been adding ammonia and are getting these readings 4 days in a row then yes this cycle is done. If it has been a couple of weeks since you changed any water go ahead and change out at least half of it before putting fish in there.

Greener099

We have added our first lot of fish, now have 3 very happy and excited children, is it safe to add our 3 guppies and 1 molly into the new tank with the new fish as only want to use the one tank.

mattgirl

We have added our first lot of fish, now have 3 very happy and excited children, is it safe to add our 3 guppies and 1 molly into the new tank with the new fish as only want to use the one tank.
Are you telling me you already had a cycled tank? Had I known that my advice would have been different and I could have saved you from having to wait so long to add fish to this tank. You could have simply moved the cycle from one tank to another. That is the benefit of having a cycled tank. You never have to go through the long drawn out cycling process again. I only mention this in case you eventually upgrade the tank again you can move this cycle over to another tank.

To answer your question though. If this tank has been processing at least 2ppm ammonia then yes, it will be safe to move the other fish over to this tank. It is a good idea to keep an eye on the parameters for a couple of weeks to make sure all is stable.

Greener099

Are you telling me you already had a cycled tank? Had I known that my advice would have been different and I could have saved you from having to wait so long to add fish to this tank. You could have simply moved the cycle from one tank to another. That is the benefit of having a cycled tank. You never have to go through the long drawn out cycling process again. I only mention this in case you eventually upgrade the tank again you can move this cycle over to another tank.

To answer your question though. If this tank has been processing at least 2ppm ammonia then yes, it will be safe to move the other fish over to this tank. It is a good idea to keep an eye on the parameters for a couple of weeks to make sure all is stable.
It was only a 50l tank and wasn't sure I could of cycled from the small tank to a new tank. I will add them in now and will keep an eye on how it all goes over the next couple of weeks

mattgirl

It was only a 50l tank and wasn't sure I could of cycled from the small tank to a new tank. I will add them in now and will keep an eye on how it all goes over the next couple of weeks
The size of the tank or amount of water really doesn't matter. The bio-load determines how much bacteria there will be in the tank. You could have moved everything from the small tank over to the bigger tank including water and fish and the bigger tank would have had enough bacteria to handle the bio-load of the fish you had in the smaller tank.

If you are going to break down the smaller tank you may want to go ahead and move the filter over to the bigger tank and run both filters for at least a month or at least move as much of the media as you can. Not really needed since this tank is now cycled but you aren't going to add too much bacteria. Personally i would keep both filters running. You can never have too much filtration and with two you have a backup should one quit on you. Quitting seems to be common with filters available today so running two isn't a bad idea.

I know this is like closing the barn door after the horse has already escaped but is just for future reference and for others that come across this thread one day.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
V1K
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Woodsman27
Replies