Fishless Cycle

Drew31

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
3/1 begin fishless cycle of 75 gallon aquarium. Add 3tsp Ammonia. 3/12 I finally get Ammonia at 0. Add 3 more tsp. Have added 3tsp every other day since. Nitrite reading every day has been .25 Today, I get Nitrite reading of 0. WAY sooner than I expected. Now, I did seed my filter with sponges from an existing tank so perhaps that has significantly sped up the Nitrite cycle? I was just expecting that to take much longer given that the Ammonia part took 11 days.

Thoughts??

Am I good to add fish? I'm going to carry on a few days to make sure this continues

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, if you can get the ammonia levels to zero, nitrite to zero, and see a little more nitrates over the course of 12-24 hours then you should be okay. Basically, if the bacteria in your filter/tank is able to convert ammonia to nitrate over the course of 12-24(I would do 12 since I think that's safer) hours then you can add fish. However, before adding fish, you should do a water change to lower the nitrate levels unless they are already very low, but I don't think so since you state you added 3 tsp every other day. You probably already know this but make sure to still monitor the water parameters after you add your fish :)

OP
Drew31

Drew31

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, thanks. I'm at 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite after 48. Just added 3tsp so will probably check in morning to see if I'm there. If so, I might be good to add...just didn't expect it to go so fast.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, I think it went fast because you seeded the tank. I also had a tank that was cycled pretty quickly; I used a bacteria supplement and it was a fish in cycle(don't worry, they lived and I made sure parameters were taken care of). It took around 5-6 days.

OP
Drew31

Drew31

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok...guess I'm glad I seeded it! Caught me way off guard today when I saw no purple!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom