Fishless Cycle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Rach05, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Rach05

Rach05New MemberMember

Hi everyone,
    I'm doing a fishless cycling on a 30 Litre planted tank, started the process four week ago. Using fish food as the ammonia source. In the tank I have a sponge filter, heater set at 27 degrees celsius, gravel and two swords.
    As of today my readings are
    pH-7.4
    Ammonia 4.0ppm
    Nitrite-0.25ppm
    Nitrate- 10ppm
    The chemicals I've been using are Api tap water conditioner since changed over to Seachem prime, Api quick start changed over to Seachem stability and blue planet thrive plant food.
    Also my tap water has 1ppm of ammonia in it.

Is my cycle heading in the right direction? as I'm getting ready to throw the towel in and start over.
    Thanks in advance :)

50029805_10157449769804411_123853843065733120_o.jpg

2. Fshloover

FshlooverValued MemberMember

I wouldn’t restart but I would be worried about your tap water ammonia being at 1 ppm because it should be kept at 0 in a aquarium.

3. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

The ammonia in your tap isn't dangerous. Its ammonium and is a by product of the treatrment process. Non toxic to fish.

I would consider using pure ammonia in a bottle from now on, instead of adding more fish food. Ammonia is super cheap and fish food can be really inaccurate because of how long it takes to rot and produce ammonia in the tank, so there's really no way to dose it.

4. OP
    OP
    Rach05

Rach05New MemberMember

Thank you that a relief to know it isn't toxic to fish and I couldn't find any pure ammonia here in Australia that's why I used fish food.

5. Iboughtmykidfish

Oh, i see. Well i maybe would hold off on adding food for a while. You have all 3 readings, so you have a fully processing cycle, its just a matter of building up enough bacteria to handle all the ammonia that will be coming in the next couple weeks or so. Bumping up the heat can help speed the cycle as well.

6. OP
    OP
    Rach05

Rach05New MemberMember

So stop adding fish food and just wait it out? and my temperature is set at 27 celsius which I think is 80 Fahrenheit is that hot enough? sorry just want to get it correct.

7. Iboughtmykidfish

I think thats a good temp. Its not super important, but it helps. I would stop with the food, just because it does take so long to turn to ammonia. So you prolly have a couple weeks ish (depending on food dosage) worth of ammonia production.. You have nitrites and nitrates so it's processing out, now you need to get the ammonia down and the nitrites will go up a lot before they get to a point where they turn to nitrates..

Hopefully you get a second opinion though, because I'm not great at cycling, especially with the fish food method. I did it once, and have been working off that one to cycle any new tanks. Theres a really good article on here about the nitrogen cycle that's pretty helpful

8. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

9. Logan.t.Foster

Logan.t.FosterWell Known MemberMember

You are fine, just have patience.

10. Momgoose56

No, don't stop adding fish food. The nitrogen cycle needs ammonia to feed the bacteria. If you stop feeding the tank the ammonia oxidizing bacteria will die. Once your tank is oxidizing all the ammonia and nitrites in your tank, meaning you are finding ammonia AND nitrites have dropped to zero AND your tank is producing significant levels of Nitrates-20 or greater, WHILE you are adding fish food, THEN your tank is cycled and ready for fish.
    Read the links I provided. They are helpful in informing you of how the nitrogen cycle works and the different methods of cycling your tank (including using fish food to do it) iboughtmykidfish is correct in that using pure (janitorial) ammonia is a faster, more accurate way of controlling ammonia levels in your tank. One additional NOTE: The second link I gave you erroneously states that when you detect Nitrites, your tank is cycled and you can add fish. That IS NOT true. Nitrites are as toxic, if not more toxic to fish than ammonia. At the point that you detect measurable Nitrites, you need to continue to add the ammonia source (in your case, fish food) every day or as often as necessary to raise ammonia to 2ppm, UNTIL your nitrites drop back to 0. This process CAN take several weeks.

11. Logan.t.Foster

Well, The OP already has plenty of ammonia, once it ammonia (and nitrite) is at zero, he/she will either need to add fish, or put more ammonia. The OP does not need more ammonia if they already have plenty, right?
    I could be wrong.

12. Momgoose56

If those test results are from your aquarium water, It looks like you are near done. But ammonia And Nitrites need to be able to drop to 0 before you add fish.

13. Iboughtmykidfish

That was my theory.. But i agree, we could be wrong. Everything I've read about cycling with fish food says the food takes possibly weeks to break down and produce ammonia. So i would assume OP has a week or two worth of ammonia producers in their tank..

14. Logan.t.Foster

My fish food produced ammonia in an hour. If the OP's food takes a longer to break down, then I agree, they should have food in the tank at all times, up until they put in fish, but @Momgoose56 said that the cycled needs ammonia currently, which did not sound right. If they already have nitrates and nitrites, I think they are almost done. Just wait for the ammonia to decrease.

15. Momgoose56

You could be Logan lol!
    The tank needs to be able to process a continual influx of ammonia just like it would if there were fish in there. Fish don't quit pooping just because there's a little ammonia in the water. Rach05 needs to keep adding fish food as often as necessary to keep the ammonia at 2 ppm (test once a day only, same time every day) until ammonia and nitrites both are testing at zero.

16. Momgoose56

Fish poop does too. As I said, fish will keep pooping, it will continually be covering to ammonia and the bacteria needs to be numerous enough to handle that.

17. Logan.t.Foster

Ok. You are right. Animals don't stop pooping. Especially the new baby in my house. :)

18. Iboughtmykidfish

I love fishlore. Always something nee to learn :)

I know the fish are constant ammonia producers, i just thought fish food took much longer to break down, so there would be a constant ammonia source for a lot longer.. I guess, was my thinking. Very good information to know, thats why i said i hope someone who knows more than i do comes along. Thanks!

19. Momgoose56

Not correct. Ammonia is oxidized to nitrites. If you quit adding an ammonia source, of course your ammonia levels will drop. All of the ammonia will be oxidized by what few ammonia oxidizing bacteria (AOB) are there. Then, without ammonia those bacteria will die. In the mean time, nitrite oxidizing bacteria (NOB) will oxidize all the nitrites and when those are zero without nitrites being produced, thos bacteria would die. You HAVE to keep feeding the tank to complete the cycle.

20. Tony M

Tony MValued MemberMember

Rach05, Love your Greyhound!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice