Fishless Cycle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by reptilepaul93, Apr 18, 2018.

1. reptilepaul93

reptilepaul93 Valued Member Member

Hi, I added three gallons of water to my 20 gallon long. The plants are so far sticking into the eoc-complete gravel; I did a dosing of seachem flourish excel etc...I plan to start the cycling next week when I add FULL water to the enclosure. QUESTION: What supplement do I use for ammonia dosing in the tank? I want to do a fishless cycle for ethical reasons. I understand it is harder, (as per LFS.) but I am okay with that so long as it means not harming any fish in the process and possibly killing some..

My current view on cycling: You keep dosing ammonia till the little bio bacteria friends turn it into nitrite, and then another group of bacteria friends turn that nitrite into nitrate?

2. T

Tesla Valued Member Member

You got the basic concepts - add ammonia (2-4 ppm) and check daily, once ammonia starts to go down to zero add it again. Start to check for nitrites and once you see nitrites go down to zero (which could take a while) then you set. After the initial phase of ammonia to nitrite bacteria is established feed ammonia every other day and check for nitrites. If nitrites >5ppm then do a water change to keep it below that level to avoid cycle stall.
    Here is a link to   article that i followed by the word and helped me a lot. If you could get a seeded filter pad from LFS or a friend, it could help in cutting down the cycle time tremendously - i was able to cycle in about 2 weeks time.

3. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

1drop/gallon will give 1ppm ammonia

Don't use other ammonias, they have additives.

4. Tokie Wartooth

Tokie Wartooth New Member Member

So I did some math.... one ml=0.00026 gallons. At 10% concentration one ml of ace hardware janitorial ammonia added to one gallon of water will give a concentration of 0.0026% ammonia or 26ppm. This number(26ppm) is easily plugged into an equation. We'll us a 10 gallon tank as I have today. 1ml+1gal=26ppm= 1ml+10gal=2.6pp.

5. OP
    OP
    reptilepaul93

So I would use 4 ML on a 20 long to produce a 2.6 PPM?

6. Tokie Wartooth

Tokie Wartooth New Member Member

No. 1ml of ace hardware 10% janitorial grade ammonia=2.6 PPM per 10 gallons of water. So for 20 gallons you would use 2ml

7. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

It's 2ml for 2.6 ppm in a 20.

Use this calculator.

8. T

Tesla Valued Member Member

Easier method is to get ammonium chloride from dr Tim - my lfs has it - very cheap and has instructions on how much to add :)

9. OP
    OP
    reptilepaul93

I turned on my bio filter, and added .9 ml of Ammonia. That’s POINT NINE. Did I do it to soon to the little bacteria’s need time to hatch ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice