Fishless Cycle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Dirzo90, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Dirzo90

Dirzo90 Valued Member Member

ive started a 30 gal tank and currently 3 weeks in on a fishless cycle, ammonia is down to 0 ppm, nitrites are 5 ppm and nitrates were 150 ppm. After two water changes within 48 hrs i got my nitrites down to 2 ppm, my nitrites are right back up to 5ppm and my nitrates are at 40 ppm.
    I've added ammonia twice since starting and have gotten the bacteria to process ammonia within a 24 hr period. I've also added dr tims twice. Did I stall my cycle?

2. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

3. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

4. OP
    OP
    Dirzo90

I haven't dosed ammonia in a week. And nitrites are still 5ppm+ and nitrates were 150 ppm before my 75%water change. Nitrates now are currently at 40ppm. Should I dose prime to help bacteria with nitrite spike?

5. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

I would also get the nitrites lower by making water changes. You want your ammonia to be at 1 ppm max and nitrites at 2 ppm max for a successful cycle. After your bacteria handles 1 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours, only then you can go up to 2ppm of ammonia, and then 3 and 4 if you like.

Please read the article by @CindiL again . It is the best one out there.

Ammonia Instructions when Cycling with TSS+ or other Bacterial Starter

6. OP
    OP
    Dirzo90

Thank you I appreciate the help.

7. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

I would do a huge water change, enough to get nitrites back down to less then .50.

Dose ammonia at that point only to 1.0 and then check your levels in 24 hours and let us know where they're at.

You have the right bacteria, just not enough of them yet.

8. OP
    OP
    Dirzo90

I dosed seachem prime to help the bacteria. Got the nitrites down to 2ppm. Will check the nitrates tomorrow to see if the nitrite was processed, or slowly being processed.

Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice