Fishless cycle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by zyntec724, Jul 9, 2015.

1. z

zyntec724 Valued Member Member

I've started a fishless cycle almost a week ago using pure ammonia on a 29 gal. I started by dosing the tank to 8ppm and waited for a drop. Then back up to 4 to 6 ppm. Then tank will now go from about 5 ppm to .5 ppm over night, possibly faster. Nitrites are still completely off the chart. And no nitrates. What would be ideal to raise the ammonia to for it to start converting nitrite to nitrate without stalling the cycle?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. R

RRBWG Valued Member Member

The more ammonia and nitrites you have the slower your cycle will go. Keep the ammonia under 5 ppm anything above 5 will slow you down. I would stick to 4ppm. If your nitrites continue to skyrocket do a water change to lower them. Good luck! :)

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Get yourself a bottle of Seachem Stability also to speed up the cycling process.

4. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

At this point I'd probably let the ammonia go down to 2.0 while your nitrites are so high. Do water changes to keep them at 4.0 or below.

5. Dom90

Like Cindi said, your cycle can stall if nitrites are above 5 ppm so if it gets that high, I would do several water changes to bring it down.

6. OP
    OP
    z

Will be doing a few changes later then. I was following the guide that is on here for the add and wait method. The guide said it would take a week for ammonia to drop, it really took like 3 days. The guide also said if the nitrite test turns purple as soon as it hits water, it is beyond the reading of the test kit, which has been happening

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Dom90

Yes it's a good sign the cycle is progressing. The guide seems outdated and probably assumes you aren't using a bacteria supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    z

The guide was for using pure ammonia like I am. I will post a link to it some time shortly. But waterchange for nitrites make sense as they take loner to drop than ammonia does

9. Dom90

I know what the guide says, but it doesn't say anything about using a bacteria product like TSS or Stability.

10. OP
    OP
    z

Went to LFS to get a bottle of stability, they ordered it for me and it will be in next week. In the mean time I am gonna do a water change to get nitrites down, then what would be recommended to dose the ammonia up to after the change? 2 to 4 ppm?

11. Dom90

2 ppm, you need to give time for the 2nd set of bacteria to catch up.

12. OP
    OP
    z

Ive done a couple smaller water changes and one large and nitrite is still above 5. Ive been dosing the ammonia to around 2ppm. I am still waiting on stability to come in to LFS. On a side note I made a DIY water changer, that is much nicer than 5 gallon buckets.

13. Dom90

Hmm, once you start seeing nitrites, you're supposed to dose only 1 ppm of ammonia to let the nitrite to nitrate bacteria catch up in growth.

14. OP
    OP
    z

I shall start dosing 1 ppm then, its not taking half a day for it to filter out the 2ppm

15. Dom90

Yea that's good, you're on the right track then. :eek: Maybe a few more days and you'll be cycled

16. cmck83

cmck83 Valued Member Member

While you're at it, crank the heater up to about 86 degree too. That should help speed it up a little

17. OP
    OP
    z

It's currently at 81. I shall turn it up a bit

18. Dom90

Any update on your cycle?

19. OP
    OP
    z

Still high nitrites. Staring to see very little nitrate. No ammonia

20. Dom90

Ok thats generally a good sign. Once your nitrates hit 40 ppm or more, the nitrites should have been processed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice