Fishless Cycle With Sand Question

1. MyNameIsFish Initiate Member

Really quick question: I just started a 10 gallon tank today with sand (it has heater, filter, and 3 plants). I'm doing a fishless cycle and was planning on just doing ghost feedings twice a day throughout the cycle.

My question is: How should I do the ghost feedings with sand?

From what I understand about the nitrogen cycle (which is relatively limited), you don't do any water changes or cleanings during the cycle. I don't want a ton of fish food to build up on the sand in my tank so what should I do? Or should I not worry about it and just make sure I do a good clean once the tank is cycled before I add fish?

2. FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

You can do water changes. You should actually do them if your nitrites go over 4ppm, accidentally overdose your ammonia or if your nitrates go sky-high. It doesn't really affect the cycle too much.

Just give the tank a good clean after you're done, you'll have to do it anyway to bring down nitrates (like a huge 90%). With a siphon, of course. I had no trouble and I had sand as well.

3. Biev Member Member

You can just do a big clean up before adding the fish, or you can use pure ammonia instead of fish flakes (works better in my personal experience, but it's up to you).
    If you have any questions about the nitrogen cycle, feel free to ask, we'll be glad to help!

4. MyNameIsFish Initiate Member

Thank you guys!!!