55 Gallon Tank Fishless Cycle with fish food question

bigjoedaddy1
I have been cycling my tank adding fish food 2x a day for 1month and half and finally decided to test the water last week and was pleased it read; Ammonia-.30, Nitrite-.50 and Nitrate 5. So I thought my cycle was half over b/c ammonia was low in comparison to nitrites and -ates. So I tested again today (week later), eager to see if Ammonia was 0 and got these readings: Ammonia .75, Nitrite- 1.0 and Nitrate- 10..... WHAT THE HECT!! Try'n to figure out why Ammonia would go up so high with Nitrite and -ates going up??? Is this normal, do I need to change out water, vacuum, or did I make an "uh o" somewhere or do I just need to wait it out???

Lucy
Cycling with food is messy, imo. I've never cycled with food, but kept one going with it.
Is there a lot in the gravel?
Usually it's recommended 1 pinch per day.
Since there's ammonia to feed the bacteria, perhaps don't add any food until the ammonia drops.

Let's see what others who have cycled with food have to say.

bigjoedaddy1
Ya I have gravel, deco and fake plants but I definitely put in more than a pinch!!lol But this is why I am doing it fishless!! I can make mistakes and not kill anything!!lol Worse comes to worse I will just clean out the tank and start over, but I would love to avoid that so if there are any other thoughts that would be great!!... But I will discontinue adding food until ammonia goes down and go from there

Lucy
I don't see a reason to start over since you're making progress.
As the food is decaying, it's making more ammonia. Since you probably have excess food, that would mean more ammonia.

Oh, just noticed, are you using Stability?

bigjoedaddy1
No I had tried it briefly on my 10G tank awhile back but no longer use it. I only tried that cause I wasn't aware of the Nitrogen cycle at the time and had a tank full of dieing fish, so I got desperate lol. The only stuff in my tank right now is water, filter, gravel, deco, heater, fake plants, aeration stone, too much fish food lol and a water dechlorinator by tetra that I added when I added water.

Lucy
Looks to me like you're doing fine! Hang in there

djorna
I was having probs cycling my tank the ammonia was up and down daily, Lucy helped me a lot and with a bit of patience it all worked out. Just like Lucy said hang in there!

bigjoedaddy1
Thanks will do!

Latest threads

Top Bottom