Fishless cycle with api quickstart?

Etonix75

Reaction score
I'm set up a 10 gallon and doing a fishless cycle. I dosed prime,apI quick start, and stress zyme. Ppl say that it will take two weeks. The more I read online the more I think I have to do a complete water change what should I do?

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m not too familiar with quick start, but if it’s bottled bacteria it will need a source of ammonia to keep colonizing.

OP
Etonix75

Etonix75

Reaction score
Yea and I am thinking of doing a water change?

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In a fishless cycle you really don’t need to be doing water changes. I would just top off as needed with treated water

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You probably shouldn't dose the seachem prime conditioner since it detoxifies ammonia, and your bacteria that you put in won't have food(I could be wrong but I don't think I am). LIke TWiG87 said, you don't need to do water changes since its a fishless cycle. Just dose ammonia and wait for the cycle to finish. I've used apI quickstart and it does work. My tank cycled in around 6 days, but I had a fish in cycle with the temperature at 78 degrees. If you want a faster cycle I would recommend making the water a little warmer unless you have already. Around 80 degrees maybe. If you dose ammonia(theres ammonnia present in the water) you could probably just wait for the bacteria to colonize and do water top offs for the water that has been evaporated.

New Threads