Fishless Cycle troubles

Holly89

Reaction score
I've been fishless cycling a 10 gallon tank since December 5th and I'm confused at the readings I'm currently getting.

I dosed the tank to 4ppm with pure ammonia on December 5th. I added Seachem Stability for the first 7 days. No more ammonia has been added and no water changes have been made. Tank has no live plants and substrate is Caribsea sand. Using API master test.

Ph: Looks between 6.2 and 6.4
Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 40ppm or a bit more. (5ppm in my tap water.)

Ph has been running 6.8 to 7 until now. Nitrites have not showed up on any test; even though I've tested for them daily since the ammonia began slowly dropping about 2 weeks ago.

I'm confused. Why no Nitrites when I've got rising Nitrates? Should I address the Ph drop with a small water change or...?

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can get some strange readings when using Stability. I know I did. If I was you, I would dose it back up to 4ppm and see what happens after 24 hours. And if you haven't already, turn the temp up to about 84 degrees.

Holly89

Reaction score
I just dosed it back to 4ppm. Temp has been 82 since day one, but I'll go up to 84. Hopefully we'll see some changes soon.

Holly89

Reaction score
So.... No progress here.

Still 4ppm this morning. No Nitrites. PH dropped to what looks like 6.0. Doesn't PH this low pretty much stall the cycling process?

Holly89

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm so irritated with this tank that I'm about to give up.

My PH nosedives in about 36 hours, going from 7.0 to 6.0 or less. Ammonia won't go anywhere, and I'm guessing it's due to the low PH. But whhhhy is the PH dropping so severely? And is there any way to stop it?

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Momgoose56
mattgirl

Hopefully one of these two can help you with the pH questions.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can get your hands on some crushed coral and put it in your filter it should stabilize your PH and keep it from dropping so low it stops your cycling progress.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom