fishless cycle stall Help

1. MamaFish Initiate Member

I began cycling this tank using ammonia on 11-7. I decided to use the add and wait method outlined in the sticky at the top of this forum because with only one betta planned the bioload won't be huge. The ammonia levels were dropping as expected and a week ago I tested and found Nitrites, but the levels have remained exactly the same for the last 7 days...

Ammonia: 1 ppm
    Nitrites: 1 ppm
    Nitrates: 5 ppm
    PH: 7.6

I have not added any further ammonia, because I was waiting for it get to zero to do so, as outlined in the instructions, but it is not falling any further. I wondered about the bacteria having died off, but there is some ammonia in there to feed them.

Should I-
    wait some more?
    Add more ammonia now anyway?
    Do a partial water change and then add more ammonia? If so, how much water?
    Something else entirely?

Thanks!

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi MamaFish
    Looks like 2 weeks into the cycle? Cycling can take up (sometimes over) a month.
    If you were to bring your amminia up to 3-4, how long would it take to drop back to 1?

Imo, it's your choice to continue to add and wait or add daily, I think you're right on track with your readings.

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Mamafish.

Good luck with the cycle. Hope everything goes smoothly :) Keep us posted!

4. pepetj Well Known Member Member

Hi MamaFish:

Nitrites at 1ppm, in my opinion, is a spike. Since you have a 6gal tank (your aquarium info) I suggest you feed your tank with say five or six drops of ammonia (measure afterwards you don't want to exceed 5 or 6ppm) at least every other day.

The Nitrite spike seems like it will take forever, but then, gradually it fades out. Not a matter of if, but of when, since the beneficial bacteria strains are already present in the air we breathe.

Keep up the good work!

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo