Fishless Cycle Questions

ZachHawks

Reaction score
Just curious, but will the use of prime on water changes affect the results of the API test kit? I did a 60% water change yesterday and 75% water change today. Dosed ammonia both times. I'm gonna let it sit a day and see if things change. My nitrates and nitrites didnt drop like I thought they would. Another funny thing, my Nitrate test is showing 40ppm of nitrates in my tap water now also, so idk whats going on. Not sure if my Nitrate test is screwed or what. I am following the directions to the tests to the T.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Prime will detox the ammonia but if there is any in there it will still show up in the test. The test doesn't know the difference between detox and not detoxed ammonia.

Is this the first time you have tested your tap water for nitrates? Just wondering if they have been there all along of if something has changed.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ZachHawks said:
When I tested my tap at the beginning of the cycle they were like 5ppm. I test today and they were 40 or so. That’s after water changes
It does seem something has changed with your water company. I think I would contact them and see if they have made some changes lately that is causing this. Maybe you will know if it is just temporary and was caused by something they are doing.

In the meantime I think I would be checking my tap before each water change to see where it is at. Maybe the nitrates will be lower some of the time and those are the times you will want to be doing the water changes.

ZachHawks

Reaction score
I’ve read that before testing tap water you need to leave it out and exposed for 24 hours before testing, any truth to that?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ZachHawks said:
I’ve read that before testing tap water you need to leave it out and exposed for 24 hours before testing, any truth to that?
That is only if you are testing your PH. Sometimes someone finds that the PH in their tank is lower than their tap water. By letting the water set for 24 hours sometimes it gasses off and the level goes down and is the reason the PH in the tank is lower than the water straight from the tap.

ZachHawks

Reaction score
Would it be beneficial for me to use a product like Seachem Denitrate or Seachem Matrix in my canister filter to help with the nitrates? If i do find out I have an issue with my tap water having high nitrates, I might just start using distilled water, but I was wondering if those products would help me get through the cycle? Still going to give a it a few days and see how the aquarium reacts after those big water changes.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never used Denitrate so can't say anything about it. I have added Matrix to my filter hoping it will help with my nitrates but so far I am not seeing much difference.

If you decide to go with distilled water be sure to add something like equilibrium to add the necessary minerals. Distilled, like RO water, has had everything stripped out of it.

I am talking to another young man who is having a problem similar to yours. If you have an an extra minute or two you might want to read this thread.
Is My Cycle Done?
He too has high nitrates in his tap water.

ZachHawks

Reaction score
Well after a few water changes my cycle appears done, but with nitrates hovering around 20-40. I did find out that my tap does have nitrates higher than usual now, but water company said that should be fixed soon. I read the "Is my cycle done" thread that you suggested. I am going to use the same product he is using to lower my nitrates to a suitable level. The stuff should be here tomorrow! Thank you Amazon prime! Going to put that in the filter and let it go for a few days and see how it does. It was nice to test today and see both ammonia and nitrite at zero, such a relief. Also nice to know my system can turn over 3-4ppm of ammonia in less than 24 hours. So hopefully fish soon! Appreciate all the input from everyone on here! One of the best forums I have ever been to. Will post some pics when I get fish added and will post an update on the nitrate product I ordered after reading about it in that thread. My cycle started January 1, so it really does take some time and patience. Almost 6 weeks for me! Thanks again!!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yay!!!! I love hearing happy endings. Cycling a tank can be stressful but now that it is done the fun part starts

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom