Fishless Cycle Questions

1. JHood

JHood New Member Member

Hello everyone. I've been lurking a lot but now have questions about my current cycle. I have a 65 gal tank I have been working on since July 12th. Around the 19th is when nitrite started showing up on tests. It has risen since then. I tested for the first time for nitrate on the 27th and it showed approx 80 ppm. I did a 60% wc this morning and then tested, and it still showed nitrites at/above 5 ppm (it's hard to tell with the purple) and 80 ppm nitrate. Yesterday nitrate was 160 ppm. I was concerned because I have no idea what is going on with the nitrites because of the numbers, so should I do another wc? Ammonia is coming down 4ppm in 12-24 hours, but I just can't tell with the rest and am not sure what to do. Obviously nitrite is becoming nitrate because that is going up.

So another wc to get the nitrite and nitrate down?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Your nitrites are most likely above 5ppm if they're still high even after a 60% wc. I would do a 100% water change to make sure you bring all levels down to 0, then dose ammonia just to 2ppm and re-test in 24 hours. Don't add more ammonia until BOTH ammonia AND nitrite drop close to 0-.25ppm. Once the ammonia completely converts to nitrates, you can then increase the ammonia to 3ppm until that converts within 24 hours. You have enough of the ammonia converting bacteria, just not enough of the nitrite converters. You just want to give those time to develop instead of overwhelming them with constant doses of ammonia.

Are you using a bacteria supplement?

3. OP
    OP
    JHood

JHood New Member Member

I have not used any bacteria supplements.

4. el337

That's fine.. you could be fairly close anyway.

5. OP
    OP
    JHood

JHood New Member Member

The cycling finishing will make my hubby happy. He's getting impatient, so I guess it's a good thing I'm managing the tank.

My next question is I noticed some algae on some of the decorations. Do I clean that off or just let it ride till it's all cycled?

6. el337

Doesn't matter but you could clean them off.