Fishless cycle question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by amberl, Dec 5, 2012.

1. a

amberl Valued Member Member

I have 125. We started a fishless cycle 9 day ago. After a short time the AMM was 8.0 or higher, when checked early the next day was down to 4 or so. After the 9 days the reading still seems to be close to the 4.0 ppm mark. Also our water temp is 84 and the pH is 8.0 with no lights. Should we wait it out some more or do some water changes?

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi amberl
    My advice is to wait it out.....
    Sit back and watch the bacteria grow. ;)

Welcome to FishLore!!

3. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

alot of tetra safe start :D i used it on my 30 and one bottle had it cycled so fast my fish were in there right away :)

4. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Patience Grasshopper.

The cycling takes way more time than you think it will. I had to wait almost two months (but I went out of town for two weeks in the middle, so it was left to it's own devices with just some dead shrimp to keep things going).

I wouldn't dose the ammonia back up so high next time, or your Nitrites will get way off the chart, and may stall the cycle.

Good luck, I'm jealous of your 125. Some day...

5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree about not dosing so high; too much ammonia can actually harm what bacteria you have grown.

It seems very unlikely that you'd go from 8.0ppm ammonia to 4.0ppm overnight, and also so early in the cycle. How are you testing? Strips are very inaccurate, only a liquid test such as the API freshwater master test kit, should be trusted. Additionally, make sure you follow the instructions to a T :)

6. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Just re-read your post and have a couple comments/questions.

Perhaps your initial Ammonia of 8 was incorrect. Did you allow the tank to completely mix the added ammonia? Probably would take a while in that large of tank.

Next, have you checked for Nitrites? If you actually had ammonia go from 8 to 4 ppm, then there should be some measurable Nitrite. If not, I would assume that my initial 8 ppm reading was in error somehow.

Anyway, the next step remains the same, just wait for the bacteria to develop. In the meantime, do you know how you will stock this tank? Doing that research can take up a lot of spare time. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice