Fishless Cycle Query

1. BloonStuff

BloonStuff Valued Member Member

Hi there! Me again. :)

I'm running a fishless cycle in a planted 5 gallon tank. I'm using Kleen Off ammonia and API's master test kit.

I'm 15 days in and I'm still not seeing any Nitrites or Nitrates. I've been making sure to keep my Ammonia topped up, not too high or too low.

I'm wondering if at 15 days in, if not seeing any Nitrites or Nitrates yet is normal? I know different tanks take different amounts of time and 15 days isn't /that/ long but I've checked my pH and it's 6.6. Is that a little too low for a cycle? If so, how do I raise the pH a bit.

Thanks!

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Valued Member Member

How many ammonia do you add and have in tank next day? If you add too much it could go slower. At low ph ammonia transfer to ammonium and cycle can take longer. But i would advise not to play with ph levels if you dont have experience.

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Have you added a bacteria source to help the tank cycle? (It will be slower growing for bacteria if not.)

4. OP
    OP
    BloonStuff

BloonStuff Valued Member Member

I added API Quick Start But I think I read it’s not very good? After reading that I tried to look for TSS+ but I couldn’t find it in the UK. I’m not sure what else to use.

It just depends what the level goes down to. Typically within a day it will drop one or two ppm. I’ve not let it go lower than 1ppm. I try to keep it around 4ppm but it has gone over a couple of times. Ah. Ok. The pH was originally 7. Hopefully it will eventually go back up once the water chemistry is better. I’m just worried about the low pH stalling the cycle.

5. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

When I started my initial cycle on my first tank my PH started hovering around 6.4. I had read that the bacteria grew slowly, or not at all below 6.0. I put a golf ball size clump of coral rock in a sock and put that in my filter. PH rose slowly to 7.0.

Once my cycle was completed, I removed it.

Don’t know why the cycle causes PH to lower? Maybe it was the TetraSafeStart I added.