Fishless Cycle - Please help identify what I am doing wrong

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by smurfgun, Jun 25, 2016.

1. s

smurfgun Valued Member Member

Hi,

I know this is yet another fishless cycle thread. However, I've been attempting at a fishless cycle for 2 months and haven't gotten anything going. I'm hoping someone can help identify where I went wrong.

I have a 40 gallon tank that I dosed with about 1ppm of ammonia. Then I waited a month and ammonia dropped but there is no nitrites or nitrates. I dosed it back up to around 1-2ppm of ammonia and it's been a month with no nitrites or nitrates. Along the way, I've dosed the tank with marineland bacteria and a couple other bacteria in a bottle.

Yet, nothing is cycling. Any comments on where I went wrong?

I've tried a fishless cycle in the past too but failed. Can never get any nitrite/nitrate to show up.

Thanks in advance!

Ray

2. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Are you dosing the ammonia every day?

3. OP
    OP
    s

Not every day. If I did that, will it not be off the charts?

4. slayer5590

BB won't grow if you don't feed them. Should be able to process 2 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. Seems like you dosed it and then waited a month to dose it again. At least that's the way I read your post.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  5. OP
    OP
    s

I check ammonia and it doesn't go down to zero. Should I still add more even though ammonia is not zero?

6. slayer5590

What does the ammonia read?

7. OP
    OP
    s

1ppm.

8. slayer5590

I would get either Tetra safe start or Seachem stability to get your cycle started. Most folks here prefer TSS but I prefer stability. With stability you have to really shake the bottle hard the first time to stir it up.

9. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks. Am I correct then to not dose anymore ammonia unless it hits zero?

10. slayer5590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice