Fishless Cycle - Please help identify what I am doing wrong

1. s

smurfgun Valued Member Member

Hi,

I know this is yet another fishless cycle thread. However, I've been attempting at a fishless cycle for 2 months and haven't gotten anything going. I'm hoping someone can help identify where I went wrong.

I have a 40 gallon tank that I dosed with about 1ppm of ammonia. Then I waited a month and ammonia dropped but there is no nitrites or nitrates. I dosed it back up to around 1-2ppm of ammonia and it's been a month with no nitrites or nitrates. Along the way, I've dosed the tank with marineland bacteria and a couple other bacteria in a bottle.

Yet, nothing is cycling. Any comments on where I went wrong?

I've tried a fishless cycle in the past too but failed. Can never get any nitrite/nitrate to show up.

Thanks in advance!

Ray

2. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Are you dosing the ammonia every day?

3. OP
    OP
    s

Not every day. If I did that, will it not be off the charts?

4. slayer5590

BB won't grow if you don't feed them. Should be able to process 2 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. Seems like you dosed it and then waited a month to dose it again. At least that's the way I read your post.

5. OP
    OP
    s

I check ammonia and it doesn't go down to zero. Should I still add more even though ammonia is not zero?

6. slayer5590

7. OP
    OP
    s

1ppm.

8. slayer5590

I would get either Tetra safe start or Seachem stability to get your cycle started. Most folks here prefer TSS but I prefer stability. With stability you have to really shake the bottle hard the first time to stir it up.

9. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks. Am I correct then to not dose anymore ammonia unless it hits zero?

10. slayer5590

yes