Fishless Cycle - Patience Or Action?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Snailwhisperer, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

I am doing a fishless cycle. I have a 55 gal and I added too much Fritz ammonium Chloride. My test reads 8ppm, but it could be higher. I plan on putting in some media from a cycled tank on Monday when the new filter arives. I am currently adding three caps of Stability a day.

1) Should I change water and get it down to 4ppm?

2) Can I plant it when ammonium is that high?

3) Does adding water sucked up from gravel vac help establish cycle?

Thank you

2. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

I would
    I wouldn't
    I don't think so

3. Dakotablue

Dakotablue Valued Member Member

Agree with the TexasGuppy. 8ppm can damage your bacteria. From what I've heard after you go above 4ppm ammonia the Bb can be hurt or even killed at some level(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Personally I'd get it down to 2ppm and add some established media and you should be good to go real soon.

4. TexasGuppy

What's you temp and pH? Although adding media soon will really boost, a pH of 7.8 is best with temp of 80-82.

5. OP
    OP
    Snailwhisperer

I turned the temp up because I read it helps with bacteria development. It is set at 85. pH is 7.4. I did a 50% water change and now have 4ppm ammonia. Nitrate is 2-5ppm (I can't actually see the difference in the colors on the chart even in bright light). I didn't bother to test Nitrite since the tank is not snail ready.

I am still waiting on the filter I needed for my other tank. I did wash out the clogged filter a bit from my old tank because water was going over not through it and I am having cloudy water and detritus worms. I read this could be due to poor filtration and that rinsing out filter cartridge can help. Please correct me if I am wrong or if I should never do this again. I then poured this sludge over the filter in the new tank in the hopes that some of the bacteria would transfer. Let me know if this is a horrid idea too!

6. TexasGuppy

You just don't want to over clean it, and make sure you only use tank water to wash it, straight tap water has chlorine and will kill the bb.

7. OP
    OP
    Snailwhisperer

I treated the tap water before washing it. I hoped that was sufficient.

8. TexasGuppy

Should be fine then. Just don't wash too hard.

9. Tokie Wartooth

Tokie Wartooth New Member Member

According to tetra(I know you're using a different brand.) Higher than 2ppm could actually kill the BB. I decided to do an experiment with keeping the ammonia at 1.5~ PPM for a week then raising it to 4~5ppm. I'll let you know what happens.

10. OP
    OP
    Snailwhisperer

Thanks, It seems the first set of bacteria is working well processing Ammonia. The Nitrite bacteria is taking its time. How long does the second part of the cycle take?

11. Tokie Wartooth

Tokie Wartooth New Member Member

If you continue to dose small amounts of the bacteria product it can take as little as 2 weeks. I think it has nitrite consuming bacteria in it as well.

At least tetra safe start plus does(I think lol)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice