Fishless Cycle odor Help 

proshot04

Reaction score
I have never done a Fishless Cycle before, I decided to use a piece of shrimp it has been about 12h and is STINKS.....bad. now what I wanted to know is whether it is the decaying shrimp or the nitrosomonas bacteria or both. also any idea how to make the smell go away, or any guess when the rank odor will vanish on its own.

thankyou

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never tried the shrimp method but I can imagine its probably pretty rank, why not just remove it and use straight ammonia?

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try adding AC to your filter it should help alot.

proshot04

Reaction score
I decided to ditch the raw shrimp(every one in the house made me) I bought some ammonia it doesn't foam up when shaken, but I say it contains 10% ammonium hydroxide, is that ok

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I haven't said so already, welcome to Fishlore! The odor is from the shrimp, not the bacteria. Your best bet is just to keep the lid closed and add some extra activated carbon as Goldwing_Don suggested. You may need to change the carbon often during the cycle to keep the odor under control. The shrimp method is probably the easiest in terms of fishless cycling, but it is said the be the smelliest. I know of one member who was actually doing a fishless cycle by hanging his filter on a bucket. He used the raw shrimp method as well and was able to keep the filter running in his garage so it wouldn't stink up the house. It might be an option for you as well.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads