Fishless Cycle, No Ammonia, High Nitrites And Nitrates 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Huskersfan75, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Huskersfan75

Huskersfan75New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    Just started
    I am doing a fishless cycle with 75 gallon tank with 2 Marineland Emperor 400 hob filters. I have been adding ammonia (from ace hardware). I am currently adding 3ppm of ammonia and it is gone in 12 hrs. I have been adding the ammonia once a day. The nitrite is at 5 ppm and nitrates at about 80 ppm. They have been at this level for about 3 days. Should I keep adding the ammonia daily until the nitrites go down to zero or cut back on the amount of ammonia added? Should I also do a water change since I have read you don't want the nitrites to go too high or it will stall the cycle?

2. Zigi Zig

Zigi ZigWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +469
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello
    Most likely you over feed it, You should Initially start with 2-4ppm of ammonia level should be added and continue with small ammounts added each few days. I would do 15% water change and let tank run for couple days don't add anything to it and keep eye on water parameters.

3. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'd suggest a 50-75% water change to bring the Nitrates down to less than 40ppm, cut the ammonia dose to 2ppm every 24 hours (if you want to fully stock the tank when cycled) and watch your nitrite levels. Nitrate oxidizing bacteria (NOB) take about twice as long to grow and establish as Ammonia oxidizing bacteria (AOB). You need to keep feeding the AOB during the final stages of your NOB growth. Each time your Nitrate levels rise above 40ppm, do a 50% water change. Repeat et al until your ammonia and nitrite levels both drop to 0ppm 24 hours after ammonia dosing. At which point, you can do a 50% water change and stock your tank! When my 125 gal tank finished cycling with 2ppm ammonia, I was able to add 20 cichlids, 11 rainbowfish, a large catfish and a 7 inch plecostamus with no change in my water parameters afterward.