Fishless Cycle, Nitrite problem

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Betta Splendid 1, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Betta Splendid 1

Betta Splendid 1Well Known MemberMember

This is my first fish less cycle and it's been about 3 weeks and for the past 2 weeks nitrites are so high they are unreadable ammonia is fine but I think I am overwhelming my bacteria now what do I do.

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Did you use a bacteria product like TSS?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

No I did not

4. Gekco

GekcoWell Known MemberMember

You could add a bottle of TSS, that might help finish your cycle.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Do you have a bottle of Prime or similar water conditioner? If you use TSS, you'll have to wait 24 hours for the effects to wear off before using. From my understanding on Seachem website, you can use Seachem Stability 30 minutes after using Prime.

6. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

How would prime help me on this cycle and how much is a bottle of seachem stability.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It dechlorinates your tap water. Chlorine in tap water kills bacteria, including the bacteria you are trying to grow. Bottle of Stability is pretty cheap, $10 at most.

8. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

I have already Dechlorinated the water prior to cycle, the bacteria for breaking down ammonia is fine it's just the nitrite problem but I might just buy some seachem stability but I have a question. Isn't seachem stability used when your starting a cycle and not in the middle of one?

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

10. Gekco

GekcoWell Known MemberMember

You can still use it to add to the BB, it never hurts to add BB to a tank even when it's cycled.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes but it can help expedite the bacteria catch up if you are going through a mini cycle.

12. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

I think the original issue is getting kinda sidetracked. With sky high nitrites, thats whats slowing down your cycle. You can add bottled bacteria, but if your nitrites are that high, it may be a waste. Do large back to back water changes until you have readable nitrites. This is the easiest way to rectify huge nitrite spikes. You want to keep your nitrite at or below 2.0 ppm. Also as long as you know your tap doesnt have nitrates, you can test for them to get an idea wether or not nitrites are being converted.

By getting your nitrites into a readable range, it will help the bacteria work more effectively. It may take several very large water changes, but its the most effective way to get over this phase.

13. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

14. Bluestreakfl

Bacteria lives on surfaces, not in the water column. Mainly in the filter, and some in the substrate as well. Water changes wont harm your bacteria at all. Just make sure you use a dechlorinator anytime you add new water into the tank.

15. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

I know they do not live in the water column and mainly in the filter but during draining the tank wouldn't some surfaces would not be surrounded ny water killing the bacteria and the filter would be off in this big of a water change

16. Bluestreakfl

About 95% of your bacteria is in the filter. I generally leave my filters on for smaller water changes. For larger ones, I put my media into a small container with tank water while changing. Also if you're using TSS and need to do a water change, treat the new water and then let it sit for at least 24 but preferably 48 hours before using it for a water change so that the binding effect of the prime wears off.

17. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

How large of water changes do I need to do each time. When you talked about back to back water changes to lower nitrite

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  18. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

19. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes you can try it. Once you have nitrites under control, I would only dose 1 ppm of ammonia daily, to let the second set of bacteria to catch up.

20. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

That will be easy because I have pure ammonia

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice