Fishless cycle. Is this the right way?

Florin79

I have a 29 gallons tank and this is my second week of cycling. At the beginning I put some bacteria from Fritz zyme ( I think that's the name).
Until now I try to feed my amonia eater bacteria well fed. My nitrites are somewhere around 5 ppm .I do daily water hanges to get the nitrites down to 0 and add amonia after to raise it at 2ppm. Is this the right way? I mean to do daily water changes?
I can't edit my post . My amonia is going from 2 to 0 in less then 24h.

Attachments

• 20210118_132934.jpg
    20210118_132934.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 12

mattgirl

I have a 29 gallons tank and this is my second week of cycling. At the beginning I put some bacteria from Fritz zyme ( I think that's the name).
Until now I try to feed my amonia eater bacteria well fed. My nitrites are somewhere around 5 ppm .I do daily water hanges to get the nitrites down to 0 and add amonia after to raise it at 2ppm. Is this the right way? I mean to do daily water changes?
I can't edit my post . My amonia is going from 2 to 0 in less then 24h.
Since this is a fishless cycle the daily water changes are not necessary. As long as the ammonia you add each day continues to go down to 0 within 24 hours your cycle is still moving forward. Right now it is just a waiting game, waiting for enough ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria to grow. When you see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites within 24 hours of adding ammonia and the nitrates are gradually going up you will know your cycle is done.

Florin79

I knew that is not so good to let the nitrates go above 3 ppm. That's the reason of water changes. I have 29 degrees, ph is 7.6 and stabile . Good sings. Should I stop hange the water and leave it as it is? Nitrites will climb sky high.

mattgirl

I knew that is not so good to let the nitrates go above 3 ppm. That's the reason of water changes. I have 29 degrees, ph is 7.6 and stabile . Good sings. Should I stop hange the water and leave it as it is? Nitrites will climb sky high.
Letting the nitrites go higher really isn't a problem. I would stop doing the water changes and let the bacteria grow to remove the nitrites. pH number is good and your bacteria should thrive in that temp.

Baasy

You want your nitrites to climb, as your doing a fishless cycle your not harming anything, at the beginning your ammonia will rise, then your nitrites will climb,when your ammonia goes bk closer to 0.5 then dose it bk up to 2.0-3.0 then you should see nitrates alittle bit after ,that's what worked for me but no need for all those water changes,its good to replenish your minerals in the water with once a week water changes tho.
Are you swing nitrates? Ask your local fish store to give you a used filter media out off his well established tanks or a cup of gravel from the tank, that should speed things up.
How many fish is you 29 gallon for?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Biagio
Replies
Views
Nicknok123
65 Gallon Tank Fishless cycling sucess
Replies
Views
Aquaricky