Fishless Cycle - High Nitrites

reelss

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for all the help so far.

Today's reading:
4/19: Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 80

It appears Nitrites are still taking 48 hours to go away.
I had made plans to buy some fish tomorrow evening (about 6-8 juvenile cichlids). Unless its going to be a complete disaster, I intend on following through with the plan. There's only so long you can tell your 2 year old that the fish are sleeping.

I have read about doing a 90% water change before getting fish. Is there anything else I should be doing? Anything to watch out for?

Lonewolf9395

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would really recommend finishing the cycle. I would think telling your child the fish are sleeping would be easier than explaining why they are no longer moving and floating belly up in the tank. Your nitrite spikes up above 1, that is a level that can be fatal to fish. I am not positive but I think cichlids are rather sensitive to spikes like that, they are not considered a good fish to cycle with. Do you have any other fish in mind that you plan to stock? Perhaps something a bit more hardy that you can finish the cycle "fish in".

If you plan to go ahead regardless then yes a very large water change is in order, you want to bring the nitrates down as far as you can. And make sure your tank temperature is stabilized at the correct temp for your stocking plan.

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would make sure it's converting in 24 hours first. You've gone through the trouble to cycle without fish, to jump the gun by a couple days, and that may end in fish loss, wouldn't be wise. I'd just be sure.

reelss

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I decided not to get the fish today. But I will be picking some up on Saturday at the latest.

Dosed to 1 ppm of Ammonia. Results after 24 hours are as follows:

4/20: Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0.5, Nitrate = 160.

Should I do a water change to get the Nitrates down?

Lonewolf9395

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes. You might need to do a few changes to get the nitrate down. Ideally you want it under 20 when you have fish in the tank.

Since you are probably going to be finishing cycling with fish in here is the info you will need: still test daily. If your ammonia plus nitrites are under 1 when added together dose Prime for the tank size. If they are over 1 when added together do a 50% water change and dose Prime for the tank size. If your nitrate gets over 20 do a water change.

reelss

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone!

1 ppm cycled in 24 hours. Getting fish today. Really excited.

reelss

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you everyone for the help.

I added 9 African Cichlids and 1 small catfish, and 72 hours later Ammonia and Nitrites have stayed at 0. Nitrates are up to 20-40 ppm. It was a long wait, but so far its been going great.

I've added some pictures of the fish I got.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom