Fishless Cycle Help

1. bellestar3

bellestar3 Initiate Member

First fishless cycle. (5.5 gallons and using extra tank media and ammonia.) This is my second week. According to the instructions I've been following, I only need to test the ammonia and once it starts dropping, I can start testing other parameters. Two days ago the ammonia was between 4-8. I tested it now and to me it looked 0.0, so I tested the rest and these were my readings. I'm a little unclear as to what I do next. Do I need to add more ammonia to get it back up, and then wait til it goes back down to 0?

Attached Files:

2. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

Yes, you need to keep adding ammonia. It is food for your bacteria. Without it your bacteria will start dying off.

I would do a water change to try to get those nitrites and nitrates down and then dose the ammonia up to at least 1 or 1 1/2

3. OP
    OP
    bellestar3

bellestar3 Initiate Member

Thanks. At what point will it be safe to add fish?

4. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

When there is no ammonia, no nitrates and a low amount of nitrates.

In other words, when your tank processes the ammonia within 24 hours and there are no nitrites

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

You can add fish when you're able to dose ammonia, and after 24 hours your water tests for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites.

6. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

You are doing great, showing nitrites already.

Keep dosing ammonia to 2ppm, and testing.

Once you show 0 ammonia or nitrites, dose to 2ppm and if your parameters are 0 ammonia and nitrites within 24 hours, you will be cycled.

You’ll have to do a big water change to reduce nitrates before adding fish.

If you can’t add fish right away, keep dosing ammonia to feed your cycle.