Fishless cycle finished, how many fish to start with?

Bobho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After four months, we have finally fishlessly cycled our 26g high bowfront and are ready to add fish today.

1. Would be okay to fully stock at this time? (When we did our large water change yesterday, we noticed our shrimp have shrunk down to practially nothing). Or should we start with only half our stock?

2. Would 12 schoolers (bloodfin tetras and cherry barbs, 6 of each) and 2 gourami be too many fish for our size aquarium?

Thank you!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't add all the fish at once, but I think you are safe to add all of ONE KIND of fish, like the 6 bloodfins or cherry barbs.

2 gouramis probably won't do well - 1 would be better.

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
To be on the safe side, I would add about 6" of fish at a time. 12 might set of a mini scyle, but they are small fish. How about trying to add 4 tetras or the two Gouramis? There is a nasty strain of some virus going around that is killing of Dwarf Gourami, so be careful about those.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I haven't already, welcome to Fish Lore!

It's better to add just a few fish at a time, 3-4, instead of the whole stock at once to give the beneficial bacteria a chance to adjust. Some people recommend adding a whole school at once and then fasting them for several days.

I think your stocking looks good except for the two gouramis. They can be aggressive toward each other so it's best to keep only one in a tank your size.

ETA: I see Jaysee just ninja'd me...

-Lisa

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I would add the 6 Cherrys first, some Tetras can be sensitive to water quality. Not sure if the Bloodfins are.

I would only do ONE Dwarf Gourmai unless it's a male/female combo. Males tend to not like each other. You need to add the Gourmai last if you still decide to get one. They are sensitive to water quality and need clean water. They enjoy some floating plants to poke and hide in.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you want a dwarf gourami or a larger one like a blue? It doesn't change stocking advice but I'm just curious why people keep mentioning DGs here.

-Lisa

Bobho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! I think we'll only get 6 bloodfins (from what I've read they're pretty hardy) and see how it goes.

Lisa, from what I've heard gouramis can be very aggressive but the dwarf are supposed to be more peaceful (though apparently even they can't get along well). We'll listen to everyone and just get one gourami - down the road.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom