Fishless Cycle Does light matter?

mastersafara

Starting a fishless cycle on a new nano tank soon. Do I need a light or can the cycle run and complete without a light?

mastersafara

Do you have any live plants? If so, then yes. You need lights.
No. No live plants. Can I cycle the tank with nothing in it except the water? Bare bottom. Or should at least add the substrate? Either way, can the cycle complete without a light?

Upvote 0

Fisch

The cycle does not need any light as I understand that you don't have any plants.
The beneficial bacteria is mostly building in the filter, and over time on decoration and glass walls. So yes, it will cycle. In fact, I am cycling a bare bottom QT right now with two sponge filters, and it is moving along nicely.

Upvote 0

Kjelli

Adding light with your cycling and no plants will cause an algae bloom kinda like this. (I didnt know till after I caused the bloom)

Attachments

• 1615257126443987425847481115176.jpg
    1615257126443987425847481115176.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

mastersafara

The cycle does not need any light as I understand that you don't have any plants.
The beneficial bacteria is mostly building in the filter, and over time on decoration and glass walls. So yes, it will cycle. In fact, I am cycling a bare bottom QT right now with two sponge filters, and it is moving along nicely.
Adding light with your cycling and no plants will cause an algae bloom kinda like this. (I didnt know till after I caused the bloom)
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
55 Gallon Tank Fishless Cycle
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl