Fishless Cycle Complete Now I Need Advice

Rob Shannon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My nitrites dropped to 0 yesterday. I did a 50% water change and dosed ammonia to 2ppm. By the next morning I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 10ppm Nitrate. My cycle took 36 days to get to this point (55 gal). Needless to say I'M READY FOR FISH!. I'll be getting Malawi cichlids, most likely a male-only show tank. Here's my dilemma: Today is Thursday, I am taking an out of town trip next week. I'll be gone from next Thursday morning until midday Monday. (4 nights). I really want to get some fish in there but is it not a good idea since I'll be away for a few days next week?

Your thoughts?

musserump09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rob Shannon said:
My nitrites dropped to 0 yesterday. I did a 50% water change and dosed ammonia to 2ppm. By the next morning I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 10ppm Nitrate. My cycle took 36 days to get to this point (55 gal). Needless to say I'M READY FOR FISH!. I'll be getting Malawi cichlids, most likely a male-only show tank. Here's my dilemma: Today is Thursday, I am taking an out of town trip next week. I'll be gone from next Thursday morning until midday Monday. (4 nights). I really want to get some fish in there but is it not a good idea since I'll be away for a few days next week?

Your thoughts?
I would wait till you return so you can monitor any ammonia spikes that could occur.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That and aggression since you're stocking with rift lake cichlids.

You can throw some food in the tank to keep ammonia up while you're gone.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my humble opinion it would be better to wait until you get back so you can keep a close eye on them. Some may be more aggressive than the others and if you left them alone for that long great mayhem could happen.

Rob Shannon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I figured waiting was the smarter play. Just needed to hear it from some experienced folks. Thanks for the feedback!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom