Fishless Cycle And Snails

Iamstupid

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello fish folk,

New to the whole aquarium thing, and have a question!

I’m on week 2-ish of cycling my tank.

My numbers are:
Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 0

I’ve been using fish food as an ammonia source, and it seems to have worked out well for me so far.

This morning however, I woke up to a bunch of tiny snails in my tank! I’m assuming they came in on a plant, as my 5.5 gallon tank is heavily planted.

QUESTION:
It’s my understanding that snails will multiply heavily based on their food supply? My tank is absolutely disgusting right now, as I have not done a water change (I figured that would be okay for a fishless cycle). We’re talking rotting food, dead plant matter, driftwood bacteria, algae, etc.
Basically, the snails have an absolute feast! Every time I go in, I can count more snails.

Should I do a water change? Should I vaccume away the rotting food, dead leaves, etc.? Will that negatively effect my cycle?

I don’t hate the snails, but I also don’t want hundreds of them!

Advice please! I’m so new, so young, so snailed.
Picture of filthy tank and one snail offender:
A23D466C-2ACC-48D1-9B74-3ABFEDEC1B81.jpeg

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Doing a water change won't do anything for the snails. Instead, I'd manually remove them when you see them (squash them and/or throw them in the trash - don't flush them) and use snail traps and/or veggies to remove them easily.

Iamstupid

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don’t know if I can squish them; I’m too squeamish.

I was hoping that maybe by vacuuming out some of the food and whatnot, that maybe they’d reproduce less? Probably not, I suppose.

I just don’t know if I can squish them

GreekGills

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Even by cleaning the tank there is plenty of food for the snails to keep reproducing. Manually removing them would be the best way to keep the numbers down

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As @TexasDomer mentioned, veggie traps. You don’t even have to touch them. Put a cucumber slice in the tank (pin it under something or else it’ll float), turn the tank lights off, every 24 hours or so grab a net and net the whole slice out with the snails. Throw them out, repeat. Note that they don’t like the lights, most of them hide in your substrate if it’s on.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Staci said:
Hello fish folk,

New to the whole aquarium thing, and have a question!

I’m on week 2-ish of cycling my tank.

My numbers are:
Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 0

I’ve been using fish food as an ammonia source, and it seems to have worked out well for me so far.

This morning however, I woke up to a bunch of tiny snails in my tank! I’m assuming they came in on a plant, as my 5.5 gallon tank is heavily planted.

QUESTION:
It’s my understanding that snails will multiply heavily based on their food supply? My tank is absolutely disgusting right now, as I have not done a water change (I figured that would be okay for a fishless cycle). We’re talking rotting food, dead plant matter, driftwood bacteria, algae, etc.
Basically, the snails have an absolute feast! Every time I go in, I can count more snails.

Should I do a water change? Should I vaccume away the rotting food, dead leaves, etc.? Will that negatively effect my cycle?

I don’t hate the snails, but I also don’t want hundreds of them!

Advice please! I’m so new, so young, so snailed.
Picture of filthy tank and one snail offender:
View attachment 435046
frm the looks of it you have already started both nitrofying bactiria. if you ammonia keeeps drropping, then the nitrites keep going up, you almost done

Iamstupid

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, never mind.

I messed up bad and think I’m gonna have to start my cycle over (long, stupid story).

I don’t think I’m cut out for this hobby. Perhaps I should quit while I still have my some of my sanity haha.

THIS IS WHY I CANT HAVE NICE THINGS

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
why do you think you need o start a new cycle? it may not be what you think

Iamstupid

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, I tried to vaccume out a little of the **** on the sand (just some plant stuff, mostly). I was vacuuming away, and all the sudden I looked up and had vaccumed out like, 90% of the water and a bunch of sand (cause I’m dumb and didn’t realize they sucked at such an alarming volume). I swear I only vaccumed for like, 30 seconds haha.

So I went to add more sand and dump a bunch of the old water back in. Then I realized I’d dumped in the wrong sand (saltwater sand that I had bought accidentally a while ago and apparently forgot to throw out). So I started vacuuming out the sand, but definitely didn’t get it all, and added my correct sand.

Overall, I replaced a bunch of sand, and did like, a 110% water change.

On the plus size, I think I vacuumed up all the snails. On the negative side, my fish spirit has diminished 99.9%

I swear, I’m usually an intelligent person

Iamstupid

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m not sure what type it is exactly (I angrily threw the rest out); all I know is that when I was researching it, people seemed to say that it could potentially raise the PH?
I got as much of it out as I could, and replaced it with my PFS. However, the water is still cloudy, so I definitely didn’t get all of it...

Meh.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Raising the pH wouldn't be a problem for your fish. The only kind I'd worry about is live sand, as that would have bacteria die off that might hurt your fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom