Fishless Cycle Ammonia Help 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by pinksprklmonkey, Apr 1, 2010.

1. pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

Hi. I am trying to start my fishless cycle today. I have searched everywhere for pure ammonia and I think I found it this morning but I wanted to double check with you all to be sure.

The Ingredients say:
    Ammonium Hydroxide and surfractant.

Is this the "pure ammonia" I need?

If not what else can I use that doesn't involve fish (I really don't want to put them through a cycle)?

Other than that I have everything I think I need. I got some gravel from my LFS and I'm ready to go. Please help!

Thanks.

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi Pink, sorry, as far as I know, it can't contain surfractant.
    There can't be any additives.

You can put a peice of raw shrimp in a stocking or mesh bag, hang it in the and leave it.
    Set it and forget it. lol

3. OP
    OP
    p

pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

That's what I was afraid of. I think I'm going to do the shrimp thing, much less work than trying to find ammonia.

Where do you get your mesh bags?

Thanks Lucy!

4. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

:) You're welcome.
    You can find them in the laundry section of the dept. store or an old onion bag.
    It might be less expensive to just get a new pair of knee high panty hose and use that.

5. OP
    OP
    p

Awesome. Off to the store I go!

6. OP
    OP
    p

Ok-

So my one raw shrimp is in a mesh bag (man, the look on the guy's face who was working the seafood counter was priceless when I asked him for one shrimp! LOL), and in my tank.

So I've got my heater running at 80 degrees, filter running, gravel set up (both new and some from an existing tank at my LFS).

I've also got my air pump ready to go with an air stone. Is this needed or can I wait to run it till I have my fish?

Also, I was thinking I'd test the water once a week till I've got the right levels. Does this sound about right? I'm so excited!! Finally!!!

Oh, one more thing. Can I add some plants slowly as it cycles? Or do I need to add them all at once, or once I have the fish? I want this process to go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice