Fishless Cycle Ammonia 4ppm

Twitchy
So I just got a 24 gallon nanotube and I'm trying to do a fishless cycle. I bought the Dr Tims DrTim's Aquatics One & Only and DrTim's ammonia. I followed the directions exactly 4 drops of ammonia per gallon which should get the ammonia to 2ppm. I tested after 24 hours and the ammonia is 4ppm. Is this going to fry the bacteria or is the live bacteria thing just a scam? My local fish store suggests cycling with live fish. They sell you some hearty fish and when the cycle is done they buy them back and you can get the fish you want. I don't want to do that to the poor hearty fish. It seems cruel.

An suggestions?

Advertisement
DillonPhoenix
4ppm shouldn't harm the bacteria too much it might just take it a bit longer to process, and live bacteria isn't a scam if used correctly it greatly speeds up a cycle in my experience however I've only ever used TSS so don't have experience with the other ones available.

Have you tested your tap water to see if it has any Ammonia in it to start with? Mine does unfortunately, and yes I do agree that it's cruel and unnecessary to use fish to cycle a tank unless you have no other option.

Advertisement
Twitchy
I would never have thought to check the tap water. I just did and it is 0ppm ammonia. Would changing some of the water help?

DillonPhoenix
Yes changing half the water will remove half the Ammonia so it would bring 4ppm down to 2ppm however doing that would also remove a lot of the bacteria you have added. I would just leave it a few days and see if your Ammonia lowers on its own. I have included a guide on fishless cycling that's really helpful below

Twitchy
I have read so many articles. I just read the one you linked, it says to get the ammonia up to 5-6ppm so according to this I should be good, maybe even a bit light. I'm going to leave it for now and test again in 24 hours. So psyched I didn't mess it up already.

Here is a pic of my tank so far:

DillonPhoenix
It's looking great! I love the black gravel with the bright green contrast plants.

I have always stuck with 3ppm Ammonia when cycling tanks (and I have done many over the years) it seem to be the perfect amount in my experience but your 4ppm shouldn't be a problem at all.

Advertisement

Twitchy
Thanks!!! I can't wait to get the fish in.

DillonPhoenix
What fish are you getting?

Twitchy
I was thinking a community tank with some colorful platys, mollies and maybe a larger specimen fish like a gourami. And and albino bristle nose catfish. Any suggestions?

DillonPhoenix
How big is the tank?

Advertisement

Twitchy
24 gallon. It is square with curved glass.

DillonPhoenix
Good so you have quite a bit of space to work with. I mainly keep bettas so don't have much experience with those fish you listed, just make sure that you don't overstock your tank and that they are all compatible with each other! You don't wanna create any unnecessary problems for yourself.

Twitchy
Yea, I want a friendly tank. I used to have a 20 gallon tank 10 years ago. I forgot all about the cycling and other stuff. I don't think I can have a betta. I read that the filter in this tank is too strong and will blow them all over.

DillonPhoenix
Yeah bettas really don't like strong currents, you might be alright with something like fancy guppies but they tend to breed like mad so you would be overrun in no time unless you got all dudes. I'm a big fan of Harlequin Rasboras in a community tank but they are probably not colourful enough for what you're wanting.

PonzLL
I always fishless cycle at 4ppm and have no issues. Doing so will make your bacteria colony larger so you can more easily fully stock your tank all at once when it's finished.

Twitchy
I do love the fancy guppies also. They had mickey mouse platys at the store today. They were pretty cool.

I always fishless cycle at 4ppm and have no issues. Doing so will make your bacteria colony larger so you can more easily fully stock your tank all at once when it's finished.

Thanks! hoping it all goes well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheFishNoob1999
Replies
Views
MasterPDX
Replies
Views
Anna G
Replies