fishless cycle ,alkaline ph,added raw fish 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by rappayi, Mar 21, 2010.

1. r

rappayi New Member Member

hi dear forum members,
    I got a new 10 g tank 4 days back on an impulse. After going through the site and some reading, added tap water ,added water conditioner and gravel,also raw fish to start ammonia-nitrogen cycle.took water sample to lfs and found it is alkaline.I am waiting for a test kit ordered online. Do i need to do a water change? Does adding a few drops of water from the small pond near the apartment help to speed up nitrogen cycle?

:;thx

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Now you just have to be patient :) It takes approx 6-8 weeks for the cycle to be finished.
    what kind of test kit did you order?
    I wouldn't add water from the pond as you don't know what else you might be adding. There's not alot of beneficial bacteria in the water so I don't see a benefit.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    r

Thanks Carol. I ordered   from Walmart. I want to keep it as natural as possible. So is there any harm in adding store bought bacteria (Bio spira). Would love to see some fishies swimming in my tank.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

That's an excellent testing kit. Highly recommemded here.
    BioSpira(now named Tetra Safe Start) is meant to be put in when you fill the aquarium and add fish. I'm not sure it will work well at this stage.
    Carol

5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!
    bio spira is only made for marine tanks now...if you have a bottle for freshwater tanks , I would throw it out as its no good.....as carol said its now called tetra safestart...and DONT let the pet store talk you into anything else as they do NOT do what they say ....goodluck!

6. OP
    OP
    r

Thanks Shawnie. I think the water is bit cloudy now. When should I remove the raw fish.
    472.jpg

7. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

leave it until you have 0 for ammonia/nitrites, and some nitrate readings :) you will need a test kit soon so you know where things stand :) kens has great deals on api liquid master test kit that has everything you need  

8. h

humantestkit New Member Member

Cloudy could be bacteria bloom. If you want to speed your cycle you can raise the temperature a few degrees.

The raw fish should decay in a few days in 78 deg. F temp. water ... I would not let it go (the raw fish) more than 1 week, then remove.

I used simple fish food to start a cycle once. It starts a green growth that bubbles nitrogen than dies off in 2-3 weeks during the end of the cycle. I think at this point you mostly get a dust algae bloom too and that dies off in 1-2 weeks and your done. After this you can add bottom feeders and feed them lightly to build your bio-filter. 1 week after these begin stocking.

You can google "fishless cycle" and see all sorts of ideas. Time is the important factor however.

9. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to Fishlore!! :;hi1
    Way to go with the fishless cycle! Kudos to you for doing your reading before getting fish.

The test kit you ordered is the perfect one. It is actually the API Master Test Kit which is so highly recommended here and used by many of us. It has been repackaged for Walmart, but it is the same thing. At this point I wouldn't put much faith in the test from the pet store, wait until you have your test kit to get the real reliable information. Don't worry about doing a water change, just let the fish piece sit and the cycle begin for now. I agree that you should not use the pond water as the bacteria grows on surfaces so adding water won't transfer any beneficial bacteria, but if there is anything unhealthy in the pond you would run the risk of transferring that into your tank. One thing you can do is turn the temperature up to around 86 degrees as the warmer temps tend to help the cycle move along a bit faster. As mentioned above you'll need to keep an eye on your fish piece because over time it will decompose completely and if it does you'll need to replace it with a new piece. Other than that and the testing once you get your kit this method of fishless cycling is watch and wait. When doing a fishless cycle the only time you need to do water changes is if one of your parameters gets too high, but you'll need to wait for your test kit to arrive to know if that's necessary. You'll need quite a bit of patience as the nitrogen cycle can take a month or more to complete.

Good luck and let us know when you get your test kit so we can help walk you through your cycle!

10. OP
    OP
    r

that was a really warm welcome from all of you.thanks a lot for responding back guys.
    :;balloons

11. OP
    OP
    r

hi all,got my API fresh water kit and found out that my aquarium ph is 8.2,ammonia is .25ppm,nitrite and nitrate zero. so....any one got any conclusion and what is to be done?(my tap water ph is 8).all suggestions are welcome

12. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

All sounds good so far! You seem right on track for a nice fishless cycle. You will see your ammonia rise then start to fall. As the ammonia falls you will start to see your nitrites rise. Once the nitrites start to fall then you will see your nitrates start to rise. Once your ammonia = 0, nitrites =0, and nitrates are more than zero then the cycle is done. As for the high pH, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Most fish will adapt to a pH that is higher or lower than their suggested range so long as you take the time to slowly acclimate them. Using driftwood can help lower your pH a bit more naturally, but since you're cycling you don't want to mess with it too much. At no point should you use chemicals to alter your pH though. I know there are tons of products out there for that reason, but they leave the pH extremely unstable which can lead to a pH crash which can in turn lead to deaths. For one thing while cycling your tank, the pH will rise and fall randomly before settling to it's true level at the end of the cycle. Plus when a pH is too low it converts ammonia into ammonium which your beneficial can still feed on, but it takes longer for them to develop that way. Keep in mind that if you alter the pH in your tank you will have to be extra careful when doing your regular water changes. While the fish can adapt to a different pH, a big pH swing can be lethal to them. For example, you lower your pH to about a 7.0 then you go to do a 50% water change, but all the new water from your tap has a pH of 8.0, that can send the fish into shock. So with such a large difference from tap to tank you would have to balance the pH before hand or do more frequent and much smaller water changes. If you decide on fish that prefer a lower pH, just take some extra time and acclimate them slowly so they have a chance to adapt to your tank. After that all will be good. :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  13. OP
    OP
    r

hello members,
    do you think Sagittaria suhulata and Echinodorus bleheri will survive in a new tank.i read that they are hardy plants ,still would like to hear from some one who already posess them.
    :;dolphin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice