fishless cycle 10 gal. tank Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by jayham26, Apr 13, 2010.

1. jayham26Valued MemberMember

I have a question about how fast can a ten gal. tank can be cycled.

I set my ten gal. tank up for some new arrivals, I started with seeding with sponge material from my twenty gal. about every two days. My water reads 3.0 ammonia from the tap. I did two 25% water changes in a seven day period and all readings a great ammonia 0.0 nitrite 0.0 nitrate 20. The ammonia did peak at 4.0 after two days of setup up and quickly dropped then the nitrite spiked and quickly dropped. So I went ahead and put my pregnant platy in and it has been one and a half week with no ammonia readings, no nitrite readings and nitrate at a safe level. Has this tank cycled in a week?:;dk

2. Jake the FishValued MemberMember

Have you been feeding your bacteria? If not then you haven't cycled. I did it when I was setting up my 43g two weeks ago.

3. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Given you have seeded some media, then yes, it is more than possible that your tank has cycled. Especially given you have experienced the spikes in ammonia and nitrIte, with only nitrAte remaing.

When I setup my new tank, I seeded the media, and pretty much transferred my population as soon as the temperature came up (in 2 days I think)

I've never had any signs of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in the new tank.

4. gzarrValued MemberMember

I, too, cycled instantly with my 10G by putting that tank's filter in my cycled 37G for a week or two and then putting it into the 10G with a betta. I never had any ammonia or nitrite readings and they have been good ever since. It was the only way that I got that stinkin tank to cycle! :)

5. jayham26Valued MemberMember

My platy has been in the tank for 5 days now with no spikes of ammonia or nitrite and everything is going how it should. I dont think that the fry will give enough waste to induce a mini cycle. I am still seeding with the sponge for ease of mind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice