Fishkeeping & pregnancy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bubblynutter, Mar 22, 2010.

1. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

OK, so here is a weird question for the adults out there.

What did you do with your hobby during pregnancies? I'm preparing for the eventuality (not pregnant yet - I hope!), and was wondering how did you keep up with the maintenance?

Pythons aren't available in Australia, so I have a syphon out the window to empty the tanks, but have to fill up via buckets. Obviously that wouldn't be ideal for most of a pregnancy...

Are any of you fish keepers with partners that appreciate the tanks but want nothing to do with the maintenance?

Any feedback would be much appreciated... :)

2. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

You can buy adapter's at most hardware stores to connect a regular garden hose to your taps :p Then you've almost got a python :p

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I use a common water hose with an adapter with a turn off button on one end. The adaptor fits my siphon. I run the hose outside for my garden/flowers in the summer and down the bathtub in the winter.
    When I get ready to refill I attach the other end to my kitchen faucet and get my water to the right temp and add water back to my tanks. Of course adding Prime(dechlor) into the first stream of water that goes into the tank. Done this for about 10 yrs and never had a problem :)
    carol

4. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

Yes, they are options. Although my taps indoors are all straight (no threading to connect hoses to).

I guess my main point was did you keep up with the maintenance yourselves? Or did you get your partner to assist? At what point did you stop doing it yourself (if you did) and how did you convince your partner to help?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice