Fishkeeper in distress

grelsner96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am very frustrated with my attempts to give my fish more space-upgrading to a much larger tank.
I have finally gotten my filter working properly, and now I do some reading at this source:

and now I have NO CLUE how to fix my water, except for buying 90 gallons (more like 80-85) of distilled water. I do not have the financing to do this, or even to buy an RO system for several weeks I will have to save money. And my fish do not want to wait weeks.

I used my water-softener water and now I tested it and the pH is high. The nitrites and nitrates are fine, the "alkalinity" is super high. That is what making me frustrated. Does anyone have an idea that will help me? I don't want to put my fish in this new tank and have them die, so I want to get the water just right.

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What is the pH reading exactly? And what kind of fish are you trying to upgrade the tank for? A lot of fish on the market today are pretty adaptable to a wide range of water conditions with a slow acclimation.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, what is your pH and hardness?
My neon tetras, which are supposed to be a "softwater" fish only, are fine in my GH over 350, which is really high. And pH over 8.
I would only be concerned about your fish if they were wild-caught from an acidic low TDS source.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would be concerned about shock. What fish are they? What are the parameters of your tap water?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads