Fishing Weights To Hold Down Driftwood

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RyleighJ, Apr 16, 2017.

1. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

I'm trying to get my driftwood to sink to the bottom of my tank with no avail. I've tried soaking it, hammering rocks into it... No luck. Would it be safe to tie a fishing weight to it (just the standard ones you can buy at Walmart or any tackle shop)? I know some types of fish and snails are sensitive to metals, so would it be okay to use?

2. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

I tie suction cups with fishing line. I've heard of using fishing weights, but I never have.

3. Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Hello, I just recently bought my first mopani wood for my tank. I boiled it and soaked it and it is sinked. Maybe you can try to boil it? I boil mine for few hours and changed boil water twice and I soaked it for 2 days. I heard every wood is different and some take longer. Sorry I don't have enough knowledge for your other questions. Good luck! :)

4. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

I did try to boil it, but I don't think I boiled it for long enough. And some of the pieces are way too big to boil :\

5. Books&Fish

Books&Fish Well Known Member Member

You could zip tie rocks to it.

It's probably too late for this but when I was building my 75g, I placed egg crate (plastic lighting cover from the hardware store) on the bottom before the substrate and placed a bunch of zip ties through it sticking up, then poured on the substrate, so when I was positioning my wood, I could just attach it to the zip ties closest to it. Then I pulled out all the ones I didn't use.

6. Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Yea, how big is yours? I heard people boil half at the time for larger pieces or soak it forever :/ Mine is only 8 by 8 so I just use my larger pot. I've read reviews on Amazon (where I bought mine) some people boil their wood for 8 hours or more and some soak for weeks to get it sinked and try to get rid of the tannin. Luckily mine only took few days to do both.

7. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure about some sinkers. I see them still saying things like "In the state of California, this items is made from materials known to cause birth defects". So including just touching the things, I'm reluctant to put them into a closed environment for long term. However, a substitute is that you can tie your driftwood to aquarium safe rocks.

8. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I drill holes in the wood and tie it down to a rock with fishing line. Fishing weights are made of lead. Not a good idea in a fish tank.

9. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

I agree with @Dave75g

Even if they aren't lead based they will be a soft metal that will slowly dissolve into the water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice