Fishing having eggs but i don’t want them

Stefonn.Papi

my clownfish always have eggs but this time they have eyes. I don’t want them so do i keep the eggs in the fish tank or what do i do?
4F409269-0FD6-4768-8375-132E19D91765.jpeg

Demeter

Leave them be, it is highly unlikely any will survive the larval stage after hatching anyways.

The only way to prevent breeding is to keep a single individual clown fish. I see no point in preventing egg layers from spawning as most if not all their young will die off due to predation or other tank hazards.

Stefonn.Papi

Demeter said:
Leave them be, it is highly unlikely any will survive the larval stage after hatching anyways.

The only way to prevent breeding is to keep a single individual clown fish. I see no point in preventing egg layers from spawning as most if not all their young will die off due to predation or other tank hazards.
if that’s the case i’ll just leave them alone, i have one more question is there a certain water parameters that would make a fish spawn eggs? Last time i asked someone from the fish store they said our water was perfect then another said it depends if it’s good with the certain type of fish if that makes any sense. Which one is the correct answer?

Demeter

Different species need different water parameters to thrive. Some species are more adaptable and will do just fine even if conditions are not as ideal as they could be. Fish like guppies, convict cichlids, and bristlenose plecos are highly adaptable and will breed in a wide range of parameters. When researching the fish you have/want you will find their ideal parameters (pH, gh, kh, temp, hardness etc). It just so happens your conditions are ideal for clowns. Breeding behavior in more fragile species is considered an accomplishment by many fish keepers. If your fish are breeding then that means they are happy and healthy.

fish 321

I wish my clowns would breed. Like said they will most likely not survive so it should be no worry for you. Even if one survives you could just give it away.

Jesterrace

fish 321 said:
I wish my clowns would breed. Like said they will most likely not survive so it should be no worry for you. Even if one survives you could just give it away.
If they have an LFS they could get some decent money/trade in value for any that make it.

JtheFishMan

Stefonn.Papi said:
if that’s the case i’ll just leave them alone, i have one more question is there a certain water parameters that would make a fish spawn eggs? Last time i asked someone from the fish store they said our water was perfect then another said it depends if it’s good with the certain type of fish if that makes any sense. Which one is the correct answer?
Yes, certain water parameters can promote spawning. Fish won't spawn unless water parameters are in a certain range, and usually, you can get the water in this range without even trying or noticing. Also, certain fish have the ability to adapt to spawn in certain parameters, stated in the best way by Demeter.

Spawning acts are also usually dependant on the food you feed them. For example, feeding strictly pellets may not promote as much spawning as it would if you feed them live foods such as brine shrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, etc.
Jesterrace said:
If they have an LFS they could get some decent money/trade in value for any that make it.
Yes, some stores accept fish for credit value and/or money. I did this a few times with some guppies I raised up a few years ago.

Jesterrace

JtheFishMan said:
Yes, certain water parameters can promote spawning. Fish won't spawn unless water parameters are in a certain range, and usually, you can get the water in this range without even trying or noticing. Also, certain fish have the ability to adapt to spawn in certain parameters, stated in the best way by Demeter.

Spawning acts are also usually dependant on the food you feed them. For example, feeding strictly pellets may not promote as much spawning as it would if you feed them live foods such as brine shrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, etc.

Yes, some stores accept fish for credit value and/or money. I did this a few times with some guppies I raised up a few years ago.
I've traded out some aggressive fish this way as well as getting in store credit for other things.

Latest threads

Top Bottom