Fishing For Plecos

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So a friend of mine took his kids (4-7 years) to a local park this weekend, and did some hand net fishing in a stream.

6D805504-1B88-44E3-A9F9-76CA66424006.jpeg

I'm guessing this is a Common Pleco? But it's a marvellous looking fish.

He said it was catch and release as far too big for their little tank.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like a common. As mean as it sounds I would have disposed of it. They are invasive and ruining a lot of ecosystems.

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they sure have been tearing up canals down in South Florida. People release them when they get to big for their tanks.

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK - I hear the environmental issue.

Still think it's a fantastic looking fish.

Too big for my 50g, but if I had a 200g I'd of considered adding it to my tank.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Impressive wee beastie :)

Such a shame they have such a bad reputation cos they are real characters and very entertaining - if a little on the large size :)

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are interesting fish and all, but should not be left in wild where they aren't from. Good if you are keeping them contained and away from wild environments.
He is a nice looking common, will end up much larger.

saltwater60

Valued Member
Reaction score
I find invasive stuff in NYS all the time. That’s how I ended up with a red eared slider. It’s too bad. I also find tons of Japanese trapdoor snails. I found about 100 of them and added them to my pond. Saved me $350.

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pretty sure they wont survive in a northern climate. I lost a blue eyed pleko that i outdoored in my outside pond in the summer. I forgot him and when i checked in November he was dead. I live on Long Island, New York.

saltwater60

Valued Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure they wont survive in a northern climate. I lost a blue eyed pleko that i outdoored in my outside pond in the summer. I forgot him and when i checked in November he was dead. I live on Long Island, New York.
Yes I’m aware of that. Just saying I find other invasive things that will survive frequently. It’s oretty sad actually.

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I’m aware of that. Just saying I find other invasive things that will survive frequently. It’s oretty sad actually.
Agreed, plants are and even bigger problems than animals [imo] , have Japanese knotweed and many other invasive weeds in the backyard.

saltwater60

Valued Member
Reaction score
You all should read up about the spotted lantern fly. If people thought the emerald ash boarer was bad the lantern flu is not as picky with trees and will destroy many varieties of trees in the USA. Sad state of affairs thanks to global trade.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom