Fishing For Plecos

Nick72

So a friend of mine took his kids (4-7 years) to a local park this weekend, and did some hand net fishing in a stream.

I'm guessing this is a Common Pleco? But it's a marvellous looking fish.

He said it was catch and release as far too big for their little tank.

Crispii

Depending on where you live, common plecos can be an invasive species.

Sheldon13

Looks like a common. As mean as it sounds I would have disposed of it. They are invasive and ruining a lot of ecosystems.

max h

they sure have been tearing up canals down in South Florida. People release them when they get to big for their tanks.

Nick72

OK - I hear the environmental issue.

Still think it's a fantastic looking fish.

Too big for my 50g, but if I had a 200 gallon I'd of considered adding it to my tank.

pagoda

Impressive wee beastie

Such a shame they have such a bad reputation cos they are real characters and very entertaining - if a little on the large size

Mcasella

They are interesting fish and all, but should not be left in wild where they aren't from. Good if you are keeping them contained and away from wild environments.
He is a nice looking common, will end up much larger.

saltwater60

I find invasive stuff in NYS all the time. That’s how I ended up with a red eared slider. It’s too bad. I also find tons of Japanese trapdoor snails. I found about 100 of them and added them to my pond. Saved me $350.

jpm995

Pretty sure they won't survive in a northern climate. I lost a blue eyed pleko that I outdoored in my outside pond in the summer. I forgot him and when I checked in November he was dead. I live on Long Island, New York.

saltwater60

jpm995 said:
Pretty sure they won't survive in a northern climate. I lost a blue eyed pleko that I outdoored in my outside pond in the summer. I forgot him and when I checked in November he was dead. I live on Long Island, New York.
Yes I’m aware of that. Just saying I find other invasive things that will survive frequently. It’s oretty sad actually.

jpm995

saltwater60 said:
Yes I’m aware of that. Just saying I find other invasive things that will survive frequently. It’s oretty sad actually.
Agreed, plants are and even bigger problems than animals [imo] , have Japanese knotweed and many other invasive weeds in the backyard.

Truckjohn

They are reputed to be delicious.

If I caught one - I would eat it.

saltwater60

You all should read up about the spotted lantern fly. If people thought the emerald ash boarer was bad the lantern flu is not as picky with trees and will destroy many varieties of trees in the USA. Sad state of affairs thanks to global trade.

HardMind

I took my son for fishing as well, last month we had fishing on Bradock Lake and we caught some fish, It was the first time when my son took the rod in his hands. He is doing it pretty well for a guy who is fishing for the first time in his life. He was so happy and so excited, I think he likes it. Now as his birthday is coming soon I am looking for a good present for him, me and my wife decided to make him a special gift. Everybody needs to have a hobby, just to keep yourself busy, so that's why I bought him a brand new rod with a good Shimano reel from this site They had a huge sale at the moment I was buying, more than that I was looking for Japanese quality products as I know they are really the best. I have a Shimano set-up for fishing and I had never any issues with it, so I thought this is going to be a perfect gift for my boy. Hope he is going to love it

Vladhasky

HardMind said:
I guess it's kind of adventure for kids
To be honest I remember the moment when I took the rod at the first time and that was incredible!
My son is 5 and he already fishes

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom