Fishies in the Desert (or, Hello!)

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by huneebee, Mar 30, 2006.

1. huneebeeNew MemberMember

Hey everyone, my name is Melissa and I'm new.  As the title suggests, I live in the desert Southwest, New Mexico, actually.  My husband and I have a 20 gallon tank with long-fin Zebra Danios, Green Cory Cats and Tequila Sunrise, Lyre-tail and Fancy Guppies.  It has been nearly 10 years since I have had a tank, and a lot of things are different (or maybe I just didn't do that much research on aquariums then  :p).  Well, anyway, hello!

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us! A lot has changed in 10 years, and we'll try and get you up to date. ;) We have a great bunch here to give you new ideas, and maybe even entice you into starting up a new tank with new fish and/or plants you haven't tried before. We hope you enjoy the site as much as we do! ;D

3. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!! Love your selection of Guppies. My Hubby is the Guppy man. We have them all over the house, he just can't get enough :)
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    h

huneebeeNew MemberMember

Thanks,  even my mom and my husband looked at me like ??? when I was telling them about cycling a tank and everything that I had learned.  I have found out a lot more here than I have on any other place I have looked. 

I never had plants before, (or danios or cory cats) so I have been reading checking out the links and everything.  I think I stayed up too late just reading the posts here for as much info as I could get.

I love guppies, they are what I had as a kid.  I would love more of a variety, but I just have to wait until I can get a couple more.

My husband loves sharks, soon he'll be getting a tank for himself and adding "his" fish to it.  He spoiled me and let me spend a chunk of our savings to buy this tank and the fishies I wanted.   :D  Though, I don't think that we'd need much enticing to start up new tanks, if we had our way, we'd live in an Aquarium, you know, like the ones tourists go and visit.  ::sings:: If I had a million dollars...

5. atmmachine816

atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

WELCOME TO FISHLORE and if you do get another tank make sure you set it up right or you will have a lot of problems like I did when I set up my tank, I got yelled at a lot by me mom and dad for having smelly water but now I know and have helped Whatsafish7 set up tanks and set up my 2.5 and I have to problems. It helps so much to do the research first and be patient, so glad you are researching and good luck. You know that you need a large tank to get a "shark" right.

Austin

6. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

welcome welcome welcome! ;D

7. OP
    OP
    h

huneebeeNew MemberMember

Austin, yes, I do try to do things right the first time, I research everything I can before I get it, I hate surprises or anything going wrong that I may have been able to prevent, especially when it involves living creatures.

We were planning on at minimum, a 75 gallon tank for his shark, but as we are still saving up for it, I still have time to do a lot of research and bug my husband with "did you know's".   ;)

8. Dino

DinoFishlore VIPMember

Tis a pleasure to have you with us!

Dino

9. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

10. Labeo55New MemberMember

Howdy. What kind of sharks?

11. OP
    OP
    h

huneebeeNew MemberMember

I'm not sure exactly which ones he wants to get, maybe rainbow sharks, if we get a huge tank. He knows more about them than I do (so far, but I'm reading up about them). I know some sharks do better in large schools or alone, and knowing him, he'll want to get more than one so we will probably be getting a 100+ tank for them.

Do you have any recommendations on what type would be good? What is good and not so good about different types of sharks?

12. chris02_84Valued MemberMember

hey hunnebee, i live in new mexico too, i'm stationed at cannon AFB, welcome to fishlore. I have learned a lot from this website and everyone will try to answer your questions....enjoy!

13. Gwenz

GwenzWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to FishLore! Hope you enjoy the site as much as everyone else here does!! :)

Gwenz

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice