1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Fishie Killer :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Lol5113, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Lol5113New MemberMember

I'm completely lost at what's going on. My fish keep dying and I need help. 25 gal tank. Overfiltering. Heater. Decor. Hiding places. Bubbler.

I had a ten gal tank that was completely cycled. Six fishies in it, all was well. I bought a 25 gal tank about two weeks ago. As advised, I transferred almost all of my old tank water, decor and dirty filters over to new tank. Let it run for a few days. Checked levels with sticks and master kit. Everything was normal as can be. Only thing I did differently was add a bubbler. I figured it was already cycled.

Moved old fish into new tank. They were happy. Three days goes by. Ammonia a little high, so I do a 25% water change. Everyone seems fine.

Go to petsmart.. Buy six new fishies. Gave their bag time to acclimate to temp in tank. Unfortunately spilled some of the pet water into tank when putting my tank water in thier bag. Let them get used to new water for about 30 mins. Introduced them to tank.

Everyone happy. None looked stressed. Few hours later.. Mollies are at the top of tank. Everyone else fine.

Next day. Mollies dead. Take them out. Do a small water change. Filters are kind of nasty.. Rinse off ick in a bucket of tank water.. Replace them back in.

Two more fishies showing stress. Took one out to new water. Left one in. Next day.. Hes dead, and all the rest of them I bought dead. All dead but old fishies from old tank and the dude I saved from stress.

Ammonia levels high. Zero nitrate and zero nitrite. Ph perfect. Hardness perfect. Do a 50% water change. Ammonia levels back to normal in a few hours. Old fishies fine.

Next day.. All fishies dead. Alllll of them.

Took the entire tank apart and emptied all water. Cleaned out everything. Filters. Gravel. Decor. Just quick rinses. Kept dirty filter sponges tho.

Treated new water with dechlorinator. Added water back in. Hit it with prime and a whole thing of safe start. Capful of stability. Ammo lock a few hours later. Let it run for two days. No fishies.

Go and buy three goldfish to help cycle the tank. They in there one night... And they dead.

Currently my ammonia levels are high in the master kit, not on stick. Everyrhing else is where it needs to be. 0 nitrate and nitrite. Ph in range. See pics.

What is killing my fish!???? And what do I need to do to make it stop? 20190625_155534.jpg20190625_155534.jpg20190625_155534.jpgd1ab5461-5da2-4029-a57a-c1a5f04fde68.png20190625_162008.jpg821197d0-fac9-4be6-8054-c3865f754a6a.png20190625_162245.jpg20190625_162230.jpg20190625_155421.jpg

Attached Files:

2. NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Your tank seemed completely fine before you accidently put some of the LFS tank water into your tank. Exactly how much did you get in?

3. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

When you upgraded tanks did u add any new decor that could be leeching a toxin?

4. Lol5113New MemberMember

About half the bag.

No. Only new thing to new tank was an air bubbler.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
  5. LMOValued MemberMember

Looks like ammonia poisoning. Even if you use prime, at the standard dose this will only detoxify ammonia up to I think 1ppm and for 48hrs. I would do a fishless cycle and make sure you are getting 0 ammonia, nitrite and are seeing some nitrates.

6. Lol5113New MemberMember

Where did the ammonia come from out of nowhere?

7. wem21Well Known MemberMember

I don't think your tank is cycled at all, theres ammonia but no nitrate. Could that be the cause?

8. wintermuteValued MemberMember

The above, specifically nitrates being zero, indicates that your tank is not cycled. If it has really cycled, you should be seeing some nitrates.

Also I'm curious, what did you do with the fish for the two days when most of the tank water (and two filters) had been transferred to the new tank?

Tony.

9. Lol5113New MemberMember

Moved those fishies to a smaller tank with some of thier water, gravel and some stress coat. Moved all the rest to the new tank.

10. wintermuteValued MemberMember

You said ph was perfect, what was the value?

If ammonia was zero when you added the three new gold fish, I really doubt that ammonia would build up to a level that would kill them by morning. I've fish in cycled four gold fish (admittedly smaller than the ones in your picture) in 6.5 gallon tank (back before I knew any better) without losing a fish, so 3 in a 25 Gallon should be able to cope with overnight without a water change I would think.

To me the most likely cause seems to be some form of contamination.

Tony.

11. DamianoValued MemberMember

I don’t think the Tank was ever Cycled when you initially thought it was. Should have added Amonia and seen how it would process in a 24 hour span. If adding it then getting zero 24 hours later then your Cycled

12. LMOValued MemberMember

How long was your original tank running - perhaps when moving decor and water over the substrate could have been disturbed and released some ammonia. What substrate are you using and is the tank planted? Not sure how but seems like even though the original filter was moved across you lost some beneficial bacteria - looks like the colony in the filter was no longer able to process the ammonia being produced by the fish. Did you get an ammonia reading just after the 3 goldfish died?

13. LC1New MemberMember

With the API test kit the Nitrate bottle #2 needs to be vigorously shaken for 30 seconds before adding into the test tube and then REALLY shake the test tube for at least 1 minute or the readings are a false 0 ( I use a paper towel over it to prevent it from dripping everywhere, while shaking it)
    It sounds like a cycle crash? Maybe from doubling the number of fish from the original 6 that you had in the cycled tank? It takes a little time for the BB to catch up to a new heavier bio-load.

14. PascalKryptValued MemberMember

Eeeh, I'm reading this carefully and I'm seeing that the tetra strips you use to measure ammonia say only upwards of 3 mg/L of ammonia is "harmful". Which is, going by your story, what you mean when you said "ammonia levels back to normal". It even suggests that anything under 6 mg/L is not lethal. Well... not quite. Even 0.5 or 1 mg/L of ammonia is harmful to your fish if your PH and/or temperature is high. (Not clear to me from the pictures what the PH value is). Also test strips with these kind of minute colour gradients are incredibly hard to read right, I would not rely on them for cycling.
    When you transferred your old filter to the new tank, your bacteria had the capacity to process waste from the stocking of that tank. You doubled the stocking of your new tank in one go. That was clearly more than your cycle could handle, and your ammonia shot up. You made it go down with water changes but when fish die and you do not take them out immediately they already start shedding waste into your tank water, so your ammonia went back up. When you got the new batch of fish you did not give your cycle time to adjust. Goldfish in particular have a very high bioload. A 25 gallon is definitely more volume than a 10 gallon but it still is not a lot of water and if you do not have a functioning cycle and already stressed fish from the trip end up pooping a lot and raising ammonia a little it is conceivable you'd lose them like that. Not just to ammonia, mind you (as that would not go up enough to kill by itself in one mind), but as another stressor in a list of stressors. That last picture has a thermometer indicating 27 degrees celcius.. if that is what you put the goldfish in, they would have been super stressed. That is far too hot for them. Higher temperatures like that also make ammonia much more toxic to fish.
    Indeed though, it is also possibly something is additionally leaching ammonia into your water...