Fishface's 20 Gallon Community - Lots of pics!

Fishface

I know that the pictures are a little dark; hopefully, you can still get the idea.  It was a heinous battle trying to get pictures of my featherfin catfish!

A pretty angle:

Jerry! He blends in with that substrate a little too well, though..

Invisible catfish! Maybe you can make him out.

Friendly, blurry bettas:

Full tank shot!

Attachments

hamstermann

very pretty! That's awesome.

Bonochick

That's a gorgeous tank! One of my fish is named Jerry as well.

Radcliffe

On man, now I have massive massive tank envy! I am trying my hand at a planted tank for the first time and it is so much fun, if a bit slow going. Your photos are really an inspiration! How long have you had it set up?

The light is so wonderful- both dark and dramatic! May I ask what kind of light and fixtures you are using? Any tips on having a dramatically lit tank that is still bright enough to encourage healthy plants?

Is that a combination of eco-complete and flourite as the substrate?

Thanks for the photos!!!

--R

Fishface

Bonochick -
After Garcia or Seinfield? (My sister and I are still debating over that one!)

Radcliffe -
My lighting is actually not something to go for. I have an increasingly bad case of brown algae (actually diatoms) on my plants, which you may notice in the pictures. That's from having not enough light in the proper part of the spectrum. For the record, I'm using two 20 watt MinI Compact Flourescent 50/50 bulbs by Coralife in the fixture that came with the tank. The '50'50' refers to the fact that half of the output is actinic blue, and half is white day light in the proper spectrum. I would be much better off if I had 40 watts of the proper light..that's why I have brown algae: my lighting is too low.

Also, it looks more dramatic because the camera just isn't very good.

If you want dramatic lighting, I hear it's good to use spotlights. I bet that gets expensive, though.

I've had it set up for about 2.5 months

I'm using eco-complete with a bottom layer of laterite, with some sprinkled on top. I'm using root fert tabs aroudn my plants, but those get really messy, and I don't recommend them!

My secret to an attractive tank is driftwood. I'm still learning about the plants. I'm fixing to set up a 75gal African Swamp/River drainage tank, and it looks like I'm going to be spending around $400 on lighting!!!

genie

That really is beautiful. I read your post in the Betta Forum. I am impressed with your female bettas. I think Lila could be nice to another female betta, but my other 2 girls are crowntails and they just wanna fight. So, as much as I want to, I am not going to do a community tank with my female bettas. Good luck with yours though, it is nice to see 2 beautiful fish getting along. (although I do still recommend keeping a close eye on them, as I am sure you already do)

Bonochick

Fishface said:
Bonochick -
   After Garcia or Seinfield? (My sister and I are still debating over that one!)
I'm a huge Seinfeld fan, so I did take that into consideration. I also had an angel named Fitzgerald who had passed away...Fitzgerald, Jerry...so I did it in honor of Fitz and of Seinfeld.

COBettaCouple

LOVE the tank! great looking job there and beautiful fish!

sgould

Very nice!

armadillo

Wow, nice! They must have a great time hiding in all the plants/wood. Great tank. Love the dark(ish) pictures at the beginning.

Stradius011

That's a real neat tank!

P.S. I love your bettas!

armadillo

Surely a very silly question: can you keep more than one betta in the same tank?

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
Surely a very silly question: can you keep more than one betta in the same tank?
99.9% of the time 2 bettas in a tank will be a disaster. the betta sp. mahachaI is a wild betta that can have a male & female together and I think 1 or 2 other wild species also can be kept together like that, but most species of betta, including the splendens that you find at the store are too territorial and aggressive.

armadillo

Oh, you're answering the question I've just asked you on the other thread. Ignore the last one then.

So that's why you were talking about that sort of betta? It's the only type that can be kept as a couple. I see. And that type is hard to find and difficult to maintain. Mmmmh. No couple for me then.

COBettaCouple

Yea, we found out about the plight of the mahachaI bettas in the wild and wanted to help build a good captive population to ensure the species continued existence after their natural environment is wiped out.. and the fact that they can be kept together and with their fry made it a breeding situation that we could do.

They're not as hard as say a seahorse or something, in fact I don't view them as really hard to take care of.. but they do require more work than a pet-store betta and a different type of treatment (for example: our wild bettas don't come over to us for food so feeding them is different).

I think wild bettas are better to get into after building experience with pet store bettas. you get more insight into the wilds after spending time caring for the splendens you find at the stores. We also have been fortunate enough to make friends with some wild betta breeders at the betta show to help us with advice on taking care of our mahachaI pair. So don't let me discourage you on the idea of having a wild betta pair in the future. They're a joy to have. I'd just suggest learning about bettas through this website and caring for your own and finding any wild betta breeders near you to learn from if you can.. and when you feel confident - go for it. wild betta breeders could also help you get started with some bettas or letting you know where to find the species of wild betta that you'd like (there are dozens) to work with.

armadillo

Do you know? I am not that ambitious. I just want to bite what I can chew. If they take experience, then I'll leave it. Am paying for going to fast with my mollies and I've learnt my lesson! Well done on the conservation work, though!

atmmachine816

Lovely tank ;D

paul219

Very nice tank. Very nice bettas.

Top Bottom