Fishes Own Reflection In The Glass

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Triggerman, Apr 3, 2019.

1. TriggermanValued MemberMember

Can a fish still see himself in the glass if you paint the glass with paint and what color black

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

They probably can see a shadowy reflection with the right lighting. More so if you painted it with a dark color, like black, than with light color.

3. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

light refracts on both the inside and outside surface of the glass. painting the outside will reduce but not eliminate the reflections.

4. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

However, think about it this way, if you are standing in your house during daylight and you look out a window, with your indoor lights on, how well can you see your own reflection? Not well at all. Now, with lights on indoors, look out that same window at night. You can see your reflection much better! If you paint the outside of the tank a dark color, especially in a gloss, your fish will see it's own reflection much better than they can if the glass were left transparent. A glossy paper background makes the reflection on glass even worse. If you want to paint your tank black and you want almost no extra glare, I'd suggest a flat black paint that's waterproof like "chalkboard" paint. It's a paint that you can actually write on with chalk and erase! I've thought about doing that myself on the back and ends and being able to write instructions on it for my fishsitters!

5. TriggermanValued MemberMember

I painted it dark blue in the fish stopped thank you Jesus

6. EvanGValued MemberMember

What was the fish doing before painting the glass?

7. TriggermanValued MemberMember

Running the glass I named him I know there's a door here somewhere

8. EvanGValued MemberMember

LOL, I hope you got some video.

9. TJ35New MemberMember

Wow, great advice! Truly was, beats what I suggest: that you sand the inside of the glass! He won’t be able to see himself then, and if he does, you won’t be the wiser!

Maybe you could try angling the light with foil or aluminum. You could also try
    putting some plants over near glass.. Maybe some different light like a 50/50 actinic. It’s all about the light refraction. U can also keep the outside of the tank squeaky clean.

10. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

My clown loaches did that all the time. Then the group would dash across the tank and do it again on the other end! But they did weird stuff all the time, like slept laying on their sides, jumping out of the water one right after the other, chasing around the tank in single file. I brought a little starving 2" baby one home once and the older 4-6" ones all surrounded him and acted like worried mother dogs, touching him and bouncing up and down. It was cute! They reminded me of dolphins.

11. TJ35New MemberMember

You’ve really got me thinking about clown loaches now

12. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

I love them. They get really big but mine were never shy. They would swim to the top during feeding time and make lots of clicking noises.

13. TJ35New MemberMember

Lol they seem to be full of quirks. Neat.

14. TriggermanValued MemberMember

Your stuff finished painted glass

Attached Files:

15. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

The angel looks like he likes it!