Fishes Own Reflection In The Glass

Triggerman

Active Member
Member
Messages
283
Reaction score
144
Can a fish still see himself in the glass if you paint the glass with paint and what color black
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,982
Reaction score
3,858
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Triggerman said:
Can a fish still see himself in the glass if you paint the glass with paint and what color black
They probably can see a shadowy reflection with the right lighting. More so if you painted it with a dark color, like black, than with light color.
 

Skavatar

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,971
Reaction score
2,670
Location
Houston, TX
Experience
2 years
light refracts on both the inside and outside surface of the glass. painting the outside will reduce but not eliminate the reflections.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,982
Reaction score
3,858
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
However, think about it this way, if you are standing in your house during daylight and you look out a window, with your indoor lights on, how well can you see your own reflection? Not well at all. Now, with lights on indoors, look out that same window at night. You can see your reflection much better! If you paint the outside of the tank a dark color, especially in a gloss, your fish will see it's own reflection much better than they can if the glass were left transparent. A glossy paper background makes the reflection on glass even worse. If you want to paint your tank black and you want almost no extra glare, I'd suggest a flat black paint that's waterproof like "chalkboard" paint. It's a paint that you can actually write on with chalk and erase! I've thought about doing that myself on the back and ends and being able to write instructions on it for my fishsitters!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
T

Triggerman

Active Member
Member
Messages
283
Reaction score
144
Momgoose56 said:
However, think about it this way, if you are standing in your house during daylight and you look out a window, with your indoor lights on, how well can you see your own reflection? Not well at all. Now, with lights on indoors, look out that same window at night. You can see your reflection much better! If you paint the outside of the tank a dark color, especially in a gloss, your fish will see it's own reflection much better than they can if the glass were left transparent. A glossy paper background makes the reflection on glass even worse. If you want to paint your tank black and you want almost no extra glare, I'd suggest a flat black paint that's waterproof like "chalkboard" paint. It's a paint that you can actually write on with chalk and erase! I've thought about doing that myself on the back and ends and being able to write instructions on it for my fishsitters!
I painted it dark blue in the fish stopped thank you Jesus
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
T

Triggerman

Active Member
Member
Messages
283
Reaction score
144
Running the glass I named him I know there's a door here somewhere
 

TJ35

New Member
Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
36
Momgoose56 said:
However, think about it this way, if you are standing in your house during daylight and you look out a window, with your indoor lights on, how well can you see your own reflection? Not well at all. Now, with lights on indoors, look out that same window at night. You can see your reflection much better! If you paint the outside of the tank a dark color, especially in a gloss, your fish will see it's own reflection much better than they can if the glass were left transparent. A glossy paper background makes the reflection on glass even worse. If you want to paint your tank black and you want almost no extra glare, I'd suggest a flat black paint that's waterproof like "chalkboard" paint. It's a paint that you can actually write on with chalk and erase! I've thought about doing that myself on the back and ends and being able to write instructions on it for my fishsitters!
Wow, great advice! Truly was, beats what I suggest: that you sand the inside of the glass! He won’t be able to see himself then, and if he does, you won’t be the wiser!

Maybe you could try angling the light with foil or aluminum. You could also try
putting some plants over near glass.. Maybe some different light like a 50/50 actinic. It’s all about the light refraction. U can also keep the outside of the tank squeaky clean.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,982
Reaction score
3,858
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
My clown loaches did that all the time. Then the group would dash across the tank and do it again on the other end! But they did weird stuff all the time, like slept laying on their sides, jumping out of the water one right after the other, chasing around the tank in single file. I brought a little starving 2" baby one home once and the older 4-6" ones all surrounded him and acted like worried mother dogs, touching him and bouncing up and down. It was cute! They reminded me of dolphins.
 

TJ35

New Member
Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
36
Momgoose56 said:
My clown loaches did that all the time. Then the group would dash across the tank and do it again on the other end! But they did weird stuff all the time, like slept laying on their sides, jumping out of the water one right after the other, chasing around the tank in single file. I brought a little starving 2" baby one home once and the older 4-6" ones all surrounded him and acted like worried mother dogs, touching him and bouncing up and down. It was cute! They reminded me of dolphins.
You’ve really got me thinking about clown loaches now
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,982
Reaction score
3,858
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
TJ35 said:
You’ve really got me thinking about clown loaches now
I love them. They get really big but mine were never shy. They would swim to the top during feeding time and make lots of clicking noises.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
T

Triggerman

Active Member
Member
Messages
283
Reaction score
144
Momgoose56 said:
They probably can see a shadowy reflection with the right lighting. More so if you painted it with a dark color, like black, than with light color.
Your stuff finished painted glass
 

Attachments

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
271
Guests online
3,104
Total visitors
3,375

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom