Fishes Dying With Unknown Reasons

Harsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi Guys,
Since last Friday, I have lost 16 fishes and I can't understand any reason of it.
I started my 170 liter (about 45 Gallon) Saltwater tank with Cichlids in Jun'17. Since then, On and Off all the fishes lived happy and healthy and kept adding fishes in it.
I had(till 30th May) :
Jewel Cichlids: 11
Jaguar Cichlid: 2
Salvini cichlid: 2
Firemouth Cichlid: 2
Texas cichlid: 2
Tinfoil barb: 1
Albino Tiger Barb: 1
Sucker cat fish: 2

On Last wednesdat(30th May), my tank suddenly started getting cloudy.
As I could not understand the reason, I asked my Pet store guy about it and he said, this may by water quality issue etc. so I should get it clean. On the same day, one of my Jewel died. It had no visible damages on body that I could see. Then died one of the Salvini the same day.
Next day 2 more Jewel died. He then came to clean the tank and said they might be sick then but rest of them are fine.
After cleaning, he added Rid-all Anti-ich in the tank as he usually does.
Dying fishes continued every day. I searched web for symptoms and found it may be internal parasites and Ginger may do some good. So added a little of ginger as well. Then found out that there is one store that have med for internal parasites. I got "Aquadene Gill, fungus parasite". Added ad specified quantity in my tank. But fishes continued dying. Till then I had lost both Salvini, all but 2 Jewels and one of the Jaguar. Even after adding med, they continued dying. Another Jag, and rest of the 3 Jewels died on till last Friday(8th Jun). After that I felt they may have over medication so i did another 100% water change, removed all the decoratives added rock salt(since I read it is chemical free natural salt, good for salt water fishes) about 125 gms and about 25ml of the "Aquadene Gill, fungus parasite" med. But all of the sudden, healthy looking Albino died.
Needed to mention, no fish was showing any visible damage as beaten up by any other fish etc. and I have added no new fish in last may months. Another thing I saw today was that the mouth of the Albino was wide open.
Finally died fishes in past 10 days are:
Jewel Cichlids: 11
Jaguar Cichlid: 2
Salvini cichlid: 2
Albino Tiger Barb: 1

Both the Firemouth and one of the texas is also not looking good.

Please help guys as soon as possible.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All the species you listed are fresh water fish, so this is a fresh water tank right? I think you have too many big, incompatible fish in a small tank. No amount of meds will fix this problem.

A 45gal with your stocking is considered way over stocked. Just the one adult jaguar cichlid would completely stock the tank. I think all your problems lie with the stocking. I suggest you stop medicating and start doing water changes for now. Try doing 50% each day for a while until things settle down. If possible I'd like to know the test results for nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. Cloudy water is usually caused by a bacterial bloom, generally harmless but indicates unstable water conditions. Water changes should get things back in order, if the water is in good condition then the fish should be too.

I suggest you do some researching on the tank requirements for the fish you have/want. Here's a few links on some of the fish you listed, it will tell you their needs.

Harsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the quick responses.
@Demeter
I get it that I have over stocked fishes but I don't think that should be the reason of there sudden death.
About adult Jag, I think, mine was not adult yet as it was of about 9-10 months only. So yes, once it would have grown I had plan to buy new(bigger) one.
About water parameters, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are at 0, Ph is also balance.
Another point to mention, I am from India. Here I can't find a fish vet and Pet-store keepers are best bet I could find. And according to them the tank was not so crowded.

@Seasoldier: sorry I didn't know that. I thought since they are naturally from salty water, they may be saltwater fishes..

Our Vet store people don't tell the difference or may be they don't know either.

Or may be there habitat is fershwater. I honestly don't know and not sure about any thing fishes any more

I think you have too many big, incompatible fish in a small tank.
Which fish is/was incompatible with which fish? Also about compatibility, which fish will be compatible with my remaining fishes?

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey chill man, we all make mistakes. First thing you need to look at is are your fish in fresh or salt water, where are you getting your water from? are you adding salt? the fish you have are fresh water fish keeping them in salt will kill them. Secondly do you know about the nitrogen cycle? your ammonia, nitrite & nitrate readings tell me your tank is not cycled, they should be 0, 0 & 10-20 ppm nitrate for your tank to be cycled properly, again if you keep fish in an uncycled tank you'll get ammonia & nitrite spikes which will kill your fish. Don't listen to any pet shop people, they're only interest is to take your money from you & they will tell you anything to do that, use the internet & talk to people on this site, you'll get more help & advice that way & do your research before buying any more fish.

Harsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey chill man, we all make mistakes.
Sure we do, but my possible mistake costing there lives
First thing you need to look at is are your fish in fresh or salt water, where are you getting your water from? are you adding salt?
I used my ground water supply for filling up the tank and I added rock salt(not aquarium salt as it was not available locally and this was the closest match from many search results).
Secondly do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
Secondly do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
Yes, I knew it and re-read it again.
your ammonia, nitrite & nitrate readings tell me your tank is not cycled, they should be 0, 0 & 10-20 ppm nitrate for your tank to be cycled properly, again if you keep fish in an uncycled tank you'll get ammonia & nitrite spikes which will kill your fish.
About cycled tank, I did a 100% water change yesterday only so I think ammonia, nitrate or nitrite should not be at high at all. Also I have been doing a 3o% water change twice monthly.
I also get full water change and tank clean-up each alternate month by the same Pet store people..

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't have fish vets either, just the internet and meds from the pet shops. I understand that tank stocking and what is considered fully stocked varies from country to country. Meaning absolutely no offense, India is one of the countries that doesn't see stocking like most other do. I would not trust the pet store employees, I don't even trust the ones in my area. They are there to sell fish, not make sure the fish are cared for properly. The internet is your best friend, you will learn far more about proper fish care from reliable cites than you will from a store employee.

I'd stop using any sort of salt in the tank. No need for salt in a fresh water tank. The only time salt should be used for freshwater is when you are treating a known illness and usually as a dip/bath rather than adding it to the main tank.

Just stick with frequent water changes for now. 30% twice a month is not enough. I'd be doing at least 75% a week. On all my tanks I do 50-75% water changes every week, my fish rarely have health issues. The key to healthy fish is clean water. The bacterial bloom was probably the trigger, I think the idea of old tank syndrome can be applied in this case. The overstocking an infrequent water changes lead to high levels of nitrates and other dissolved nutrients. These built up over time, leading to the bacterial bloom (cloudy water). Once you started changing things (large water changes, meds etc.) it caused the chain reaction and fish started dying.

This is a pretty great link that gives you a good idea of what old tank syndrome is and how to fix/prevent it.

Harsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the resonance.
I would like to know, what will be the ideal count in my tank

More than that, what about there mouth open and not getting closed.. also there gills are not looking good.

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
First off, stop with the salt. They are freshwater fish. I would start with a weekly maintenance of 50% water change, using a dechlorinator. Twice monthly isn't enough for the messy fish you have.

Your tank is too small for all of the inhabitants, and if the salt isn't killing them, aggression and stress is.

What fish do you want to keep the most?

Harsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just did a 50% water change to half the salt content. And will keep doing every alternate day or may be everyday. About most liked fish, I already lost salvini and Jag. I also wanted to have Oscar which was badly bullied by Jewels and had to return. So since the count is now 7 including sucker cats, I was thinking of 2 Oscars if they can live along.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your tank isn't big enough for that. Two oscars would need a 6 foot, 125 gal tank minimum, and even that might not work out. Even one oscar would need a bigger tank.

What species do you have left?

Harsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your tank isn't big enough for that. Two oscars would need a 6 foot, 125 gal tank minimum, and even that might not work out. Even one oscar would need a bigger tank.

What species do you have left?
I am now left with 2 Foremouth, 2 Texas, 1 Tinfoil and 2 sucker cats. However, firemouths have Jaw locked and don’t know if they’ll survive or not either one of the Texas is also not so good

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd rehome both Texas cichlids and the tinfoil. The two firemouths may be fine.

Can you take a pic of the sucker cats?

Harsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Will post pic when I’ll reach home in next 6/7 hours I suppose

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You've made all the common mistakes we all make at some time, overstocking, inappropriate mix of stock, poor water conditions etc. it's just unfortunate that you've made them all at the same time & lost a lot of fish because of it, but you are now in the right place to put things right. Until you get some experience (and even when you have) reach out on here & there will always be people willing to help & guide you, but please NO MORE SALT!

Harsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd rehome both Texas cichlids and the tinfoil. The two firemouths may be fine.

Can you take a pic of the sucker cats?
My vet store guy asked me to return all my fishes and will give my new fishes as I’ll ask.. He said, he’ll keep all of them in separate tanks and medicate them. Now the tank is empty(no fish, no water). Guessing all the bacterias will die with nothing to eat..

If you guys feel otherwise, please suggest.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think you could salvage your tank if you wanted to keep the two firemouths, but it would require frequent water changes to keep the water safe while it's cycling. You could also rehome all of your fish and start again. We can help you come up with a new, appropriate stocking plan too.

Harsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Back after long time. All but the tinfoil died eventually in a couple of days.. kept tank dry for like 20 days now.. setting back again today. No fishes now. Only water for a few days. Please suggest what to keep in mind now.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, OK so you're basically starting from scratch again so the first thing you need to do is decide if you're going to go with a salt water or fresh water tank??? I'm guessing you'll be going for fresh water tropicals? First thing you'll need to do is cycle the tank to get the BB colony working again so get cracking on that & then we can start talking about what type & how many fish you're going to stock the tank with, talk soon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom