Fishes dying in numbers.

1. Sadique Mohammad Akhtar

Sadique Mohammad Akhtar New Member Member

Dear all I have a 56l / 14 gallon tank.
    It's a 6 month old tank. Last month around 12 guppies died in a space of 1 week. The water parameters were perfect, I don't have the readings as I had my local pet shop check it for me, I had it checked on 2 different occasions in 2 different shops and none found any problem.

Then this Sunday i bought 10 more guppies which all died within 4 days of purchasing them.

I'm actually bewildered.
    Can anyone suggest what's going on.
    Note- the guppies were bought from a local breeder on the Internet and not from a pet shop.

I live in Denmark and we have long days with just 4 hrs of darkness.

Please help and ask questions which may be relevant to the situation.
    I also have some Platy fishes in my aquarium and also some Guppies more (bought from a pet shop) they seem to be doing fine.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

I have a number of questions.

Do you have a heater in the tank?

When you lost the first batch, was anything new introduced to the tank? IE plants, decorations, new fish, changed the filter cartridge, different water source, etc.

Is the breeder using a different water source then you?

Do you have your own master test kit?

What are the current peramaters and temperature of the tank?

What is the current peramaters of your water source?

What symptoms are the guppies displaying before death? IE gasping at the top, hidding, refusing to eat, bloated, etc.

What are you feeding them?

Ok done with my Inquisition

3. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

We need to have the readings to fully help but that is a LOT of fish for a 14 gallon tank. What is your water change schedule?

4. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with the question, but my other question is why do you have so many guppies in a 14gal?

5. OP
    OP
    Sadique Mohammad Akhtar

I will answer to all the questions one by one.
    Yes I have a heater in the tank but the first batch died during a warm week. The water temp then was around 33C and then I switched off the heater.

When the first lot died nothing new was introduced into the fish tank. Except for a new box of flake food which I started as the older one finished off. The filter cartridge has not been changed since I got the fish tank 6 months ago.
    Water source is the same tap water which I use every weekend in the water changes partial around 1/4. I do add the water conditioner before putting the water into the tank.
    I guess the breeder must be using the same water source as I do, the tap water with conditioner.
    I don't have my own master test kit.
    The current temp in the tank is 27C
    The heater is switched off. It's the same temp as the room.
    I didn't get what you meant by current parameters of water source.

The symptoms shown are as follows:
    Tails dropped
    Staying near the water surface but didn't see them gasping.
    Very little activity as if just staying at one corner near the surface.
    When the first lot died some of them did show bloated stomach and one of them had clear dropsy syndrome. And of course least interested in eating.
    I'm feeding them the general flake food which you get from the pet shops sera brand.

If you have any questions please do ask.

I must say that the two different batch of casualties of guppies were purchased from 2 different breeders.
    Thanks a lot.

I change the water every week. I have a lot of guppies in my tank as the breeders I got the fishes from they had even more. One of them had around a 100 of them in a 14 Gallon tank.

As I said. The breeders have even more guppies in their tank. One of them has around 100 in a 14G tank.

6. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

Welcome to the forums. What they mean by parameters is the following PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and nitrate levels. And also the GH and KH if you can. First 4 are the most crucial.

Just because a breeder does something doesn't mean it's good for the fish. And they also usually only hope to have them in that small for a short time. But still not very good for the fish.

7. OP
    OP
    Sadique Mohammad Akhtar

Thanks for the info.

8. fisharegreat8962

fisharegreat8962 Valued Member Member

Was about to ask all the same things, but I have a few more.

How often do you do water changes?

How big of water changes do you do?

Why do you have so many guppies in a 14 gallon? Seems like overcrowding to me.

Wishing the best for you and your fishies!

9. Dragones5150918

Dropsy is normally an end result of either a parasite or bacterial problem. Other things can also lead to dropsy, such as improper diet and wate retention to name two. Problem is, you can not test your water so we can rule that out.

Peramaters is your PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

If I had to take a shot in the dark, I would say with a confirmed case of dropsy, what ever it was that killed your first batch is still in your water, and your existing fish have a tolerance to what ever it is.....As long as your water remains clean and good.

It also sounds like your water is off somewhere with them hanging at the top corner of the tank. I highly recommend you purchase a test kit so if it is water, it can be fixed quickly.

10. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yeah just as a note, you cannot stock your tank the way a seller or breeder does. They don't stock their tanks to stay that way in the long run, they're stocked to showcase fish to be sold and are expected to be emptied out from being sold

The most guppies you would have in a 14 is probably 6-7 males, as a 10 gallon can house a MAX recommended amount of 5 male guppies

11. OP
    OP
    Sadique Mohammad Akhtar

I do water changes once a week. And I change around 1/4 of the water.
    Actually the total number of fishes I had at the time of deaths was around 25 adult. Fishes.

12. codyrex97

Have you read about the nitrogen cycle? If not please do. It would also be great to have your own test kit although I know they can be hard to get in other countries. API Freshwater Master Test Kit is what you want.

13. OP
    OP
    Sadique Mohammad Akhtar

I will purchase a test kit. But on the other hand. I've had the water tested twice in pet shops actually different pet shops and I had them just before the water changes that is on the 7th day of the week. And the readings were perfect.

I will try to get it.

14. codyrex97

With so many fish in that tank it'd be impossible for your water not to be very polluted. I'm unsure why the tests they did for you did not give any indication of dangerous water.

15. fisharegreat8962

fisharegreat8962 Valued Member Member

Just because the breeder has that many in there doesn't make it any better. It's still overcrowding, even if he's doing it way worse.

16. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

How many guppies do you have now? 25% changes once a week is not enough, being as overstocked as you are. You're probably looking more at 50% twice or three times a week.

Breeders keep a lot of fish crammed in a small tank because, as mentioned above, they're trying to sell their fish. Those fish aren't going to be in that tank all their lives, only until they're sold. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's like saying it's okay to keep bettas in tiny cups because the store sold them that way :)

Stores often use expired test strips that are inaccurate to begin with, and "perfect" is relative. Good water quality = 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, <20 nitrate. Without the cold hard numbers you can't really tell if your water is actually "perfect."

17. Dragones5150918

Ok, that is way to many fish in such a little tank. I was going by the impression that maybe 2 platties and a couple of guppies were in the tank.

First off, platties poop alot, then you get a large over stock tank of guppies.....you are in major bio over load. I bet if you got a test kit, you would find your ammonia and especially nitrate sky high. That little filter us not enough for that kind of bio load. You have created in that tank cyanide. I recommend several large (75%) water changes over the next couple of days, and rehome some if those fish. A 14 gallon is not being enough for more then 2 platties and maybe 2 to 3 guppies, and that is still a bit in the over stock side.

18. OP
    OP
    Sadique Mohammad Akhtar

I have a 54l tank which I guess is a 14G right? So ideally I should be having 5 fishes all in all? It will make the tank look almost empty.

19. codyrex97

I would say 6-7 male guppies. It's hard to manage fish in small amounts of water (which 14 gallons is, for fish)

20. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure about the bioload of platies but you could probably have 8 guppies maximum. Keep them all the same gender if you don't want to deal with fry.