Fish you own but regret? - Page 4

Pythia

Joker77 said:
I guess I'm talking community tanks as species only tanks you probably should know what your getting into beforehand.

For me I guess it would have to be my red eye tetras. They where almost the first fish I bought. I don't really like them because they like to hide(unlike most of my other tetras), eat alot, their rather bland looking and worst of all they annoying steal the algae pellets when I put them in (they are meant for the loaches/plecos). I can't see myself ever buying them again.
For me it would be my cory. I love her and all but when I bought her, I was told by the lfs that she'd do fine in a 10g tank but really she needs at least a 20g

CTYankee79

skar said:
I have about 20 mixed micros in a 75.
I think they are awesome !!
I always thought this would be a cool idea, lots of micros in a larger tank! What sort of micros do you have?

As far as my regrets, we’ll my first and only tank I was unable to find Harlequins so I bought 6 Serpae tetras not knowing they have a reputation for being fin nippers.
I won’t say I regret it but It changed my whole stocking plan! Turns out they aren’t that misbehaved, I also have Red Eye tetras and although they aren’t the most active I think they are a nice looking fish.

Pariah

I briefly had a native tank with rainbow darters that the kids collected from a local stream. They actually did great, but they didn't really do anything besides look pretty. Extremely picky eaters and I had to keep a bucket of scuds to feed them. So we let them go where we found them and are in the process of restarting and going the tropical route.

jake37

Yea but you have to admit that is one pretty fish.
--
Kribs. I got rid of two of them today. One i couldn't find and 2 I kept. I'm pretty sure the one i couldn't find is in there somewhere so one day i'll snag her. Oddly after removing 2 the nannacara gave the male krib a bashing and he seemed to calm down - lets hope it last.
-
I'm also regretting my angles wrigglers. I can't do water changes because they stuck them at the very top of the tank. How they manage to guard 3 day old wrigglers against an army of loaches I don't know but i noticed when my clown loaches were glass surfing they avoided the angels.
-
I did buy bbs today (baby brine shrimp); just in case i have to feed them this weekend but i'm kind of hoping they have an accident. The best i can do is stick them in a pail and feed em 5 times a day.

Pariah said:
I briefly had a native tank with rainbow darters that the kids collected from a local stream. They actually did great, but they didn't really do anything besides look pretty. Extremely picky eaters and I had to keep a bucket of scuds to feed them. So we let them go where we found them and are in the process of restarting and going the tropical route.

Sauceboat

Nerite snail, I don’t actually regret him any more now that I have the algae under control so he poops less. But I initially bought him for algae control and it was terribly messy..

Pariah

jake37 said:
Yea but you have to admit that is one pretty fish.
Absolutely! They are quite common around here, too. We also had a couple mottled sculpins. So ugly they are cool. They didn't do a lot, either, but they were savage eaters. If it fit in their mouths, it was gone.

GouramisAreSuperior

Joshaeus

Pariah said:
Weird...darters in general are supposed to be very personable fish. What kind of current was on the tank, and what was the temperature?

doughboy52

Neons for me. I started out looking for black neon tetra but couldn’t find them locally and settled. As others have said, aside from their bright color, they’re kinda boring. Health issues. And they seem too common - my wife calls them the Toyota Camrys of the fish tank

zorianak

Neons are definitely the toyota camrys.. easy to breed, but mine haven't seemed all that delicate. Are yall buying yours from LFS? I've noticed the LFS oens are really delicate. Mine have made it through several fishpocalypses and my "main" school of around 4-5 are turning 2 this year. Hoping to get some eggs from them - they're 2-3x larger than neons that I've seen at stores.

Anyway, my regret fish were my yoyo loaches.. I wound up needing to euthanize them because they tried to take over the tank and were killing the other fish, and I could not sell them. I felt bad having it end that way, but at the time I didn't have anywhere else to put them and I had to think about the other inhabitants of the tank. It's odd because they were previously very peaceful - then one day, they began to relentlessly chase the other fish and attempt to eat them. They killed a female GBR and ate her, too.

My current regret might be this Acara I picked up. I don't think he's going to make it, sadly Not because of the species itself - they're lovely fish, and my neons aren't small enough to fit in his mouth - but because he may have killed himself by jumping out of his tank, and I realized after I got home with him that he had a damaged eye from one of the Texas greens that he was sharing a tank with.

doughboy52

zorianak said:
Neons are definitely the toyota camrys.. easy to breed, but mine haven't seemed all that delicate. Are yall buying yours from LFS? I've noticed the LFS oens are really delicate. Mine have made it through several fishpocalypses and my "main" school of around 4-5 are turning 2 this year. Hoping to get some eggs from them - they're 2-3x larger than neons that I've seen at stores.

Anyway, my regret fish were my yoyo loaches.. I wound up needing to euthanize them because they tried to take over the tank and were killing the other fish, and I could not sell them. I felt bad having it end that way, but at the time I didn't have anywhere else to put them and I had to think about the other inhabitants of the tank. It's odd because they were previously very peaceful - then one day, they began to relentlessly chase the other fish and attempt to eat them. They killed a female GBR and ate her, too.

My current regret might be this Acara I picked up. I don't think he's going to make it, sadly Not because of the species itself - they're lovely fish, and my neons aren't small enough to fit in his mouth - but because he may have killed himself by jumping out of his tank, and I realized after I got home with him that he had a damaged eye from one of the Texas greens that he was sharing a tank with.
My neons were from my LFS. I have 9 out of my initial 11. One died after getting his jaw stuck open and one got a white growth on its mouth.

skar

CTYankee79 said:
I always thought this would be a cool idea, lots of micros in a larger tank! What sort of micros do you have?

As far as my regrets, we’ll my first and only tank I was unable to find Harlequins so I bought 6 Serpae tetras not knowing they have a reputation for being fin nippers.
I won’t say I regret it but It changed my whole stocking plan! Turns out they aren’t that misbehaved, I also have Red Eye tetras and although they aren’t the most active I think they are a nice looking fish.
I have chili rasboras and maculatus together. They also seem to school up with rasbora espie as well.

The tank looks more alive to me with the activity.

Dippiedee

Leopard danios - I didnt research them before buying them so it's my own fault but they shouldn't have been in my tank anyway because they're cold water. Their constant darting around stressed all my other fish. They were too effective at fry control and they were such fin nippers. I took them back to LFS.

Biggest mistake I ever made back when I first started was buying some lake malawi cichlids knowing nothing about them except they look good and bringing them home for my community tank... luckily I was googling them while they were floating in the bag in the tank and I realised quite quickly that id made a huge mistake and took them back straight away.

I'm surprised to see how many people regret neons, I have 20 cardinals (not the same but very similar) I think they're pretty mesmerising. Guppies I understand, I feel like they put a huge restriction on what you can have in the tank with them.

Fisch

Falena said:
I am with some others here in regretting Bettas. I regret any long finned betta I've bought especially, I have two long finned bettas still kicking it. A veiltail and a double tail half moon. The veiltail bites his tail and has fin rot on a regular basis regardless of pristine water. And the double tail half moon is stunted and has terrible trouble with the weight of his fins, he has very special care requirements. I love my little special aqua pups but I will only keep or breed plakats after experiences with hm/dt/dumbo ect I noticed they don't live often longer than 2 years whereas I've had plakats/hmpks make it to 7.
I almost always import my plakats from Indonesia or Thailand from reputable smaller scale breeders or local breeders that log their breedings so their health is traceable through lineage and selective breeding now, because the poor things are just so over bred in huge quantities without any regard for health anymore. Any store bought betta in the past few years has ended in heartbreak
I have to agree, Bettas are absolutely beautiful and very personable, but those fins are a nightmare. The male veiltail is holding up in his own tank, but I am paranoid keeping his water pristine. My husband thought it would be good to try the female Betta in the community tank, and she just moved in today after 7weeks quarantine. Cross my fingers that she won't be a bullie.

AcornTheBetta

Fisch said:
I have to agree, Bettas are absolutely beautiful and very personable, but those fins are a nightmare. The male veiltail is holding up in his own tank, but I am paranoid keeping his water pristine. My husband thought it would be good to try the female Betta in the community tank, and she just moved in today after 7weeks quarantine. Cross my fingers that she won't be a bullie.
Fins are such a hassle. I love my betta to death, but fin his are just UGGG

Fisch

AcornTheBetta said:
Fins are such a hassle. I love my betta to death, but fin his are just UGGG
Only would go with a Plakat. Live and learn.

AcornTheBetta

Fisch said:
Only would go with a Plakat. Live and learn.
I said that to my mom the other day. I said "I wish I got a koi halfmoon plakat betta instead of a long fin betta. I'm never getting a long fin betta again"

jake37

I still regret the Kribs. They are fascinating fishes but they don't get along with SA cichlid and they are really aggressive. Now that they have been gone for a while my orange laser cory are just beginning to come out without fear. The whole tank is so much more peaceful without them. i still hvae to fish out two more krib frys that managed to not get eaten and are not that small anymore. The nannacara mostly gets along with the apistogramma and vice versa so now i have a peaceful tank Now to get the guppies to behave... guess i'll have to dig out that spanking rod.

SM1199

zorianak said:
I agree, I haven't had any issues with my neons. I was convinced that I would never own neons and that they were too delicate to be worth my time. Then I got bored and got a school of 6 when I was looking to jazz up my 10 gallon. One of them died the second or third day - I found it dead stuck in the moss so not sure if it died because it got stuck, or what?

The other five have been fantastic since I got them a few months ago. Shy at first, but now they come to the front and dance around when they expect food. I admittedly neglect my tank but have done a couple big water changes without perfectly matched water. I also changed out my tank (just moved all the stock/plants/hardscape from one 10 gallon to another 10 gallon) and so that was a 100% water change with minimal acclimation and they didn't care. So far they seem bombproof.

I don't know if it made a difference, but I preventatively medicated them with praziquantel and metronidazole the first week I got them. I got them from a store that actually does not keep great care of their livestock, but I made sure that their neon tank looked good. (I looked at neons in a better store a few days prior and didn't buy any because I got a bad feeling). One of them in particular started out particularly skinny, longer than all the others but quite emaciated, and I was sure it was going to die. It's been a few months and only this month has he started to look normal. He's really rallied.

JB92668

i regret getting a black plakate male he is aggro all the time but he is ok i wont be getting rid of him he is young the one fish i had that i hated was my flower horn male he is sold now

BettasAreSuperior

glofish. You're proably like "ewwww...with plastic plants and puke colored gravel"? Yup. I got this tank when I knew all about cycling and beneficial bacteria and everything but I was little back then and naive. I was 9 years old. Don't get me wrong I love glofish but they are colored artifically and they just look kiddish. Though I do love them and they have personality and I would never sell them so I am iffy on it.

GoldfishExxpert

I regret getting Glo-fish they lasted a few days (I was taking good care of them) and they hated the light it came with to make them glow, the store I bought them from wasnt trusted but I didn’t know that since they were my first ever fish

AggressiveAquatics

GoldfishExxpert

AggressiveAquatics said:
A dwarf gourami. What a little jerk.
Lol! My good friend has one and I’ve been surprised on how aggressive they really are!

Kevinthebreeder

I regret buying a platty because she's not as peaceful as I would imagine. I currently have a tank of guppies with a platty. At first, the platty was living peacefully with the guppies, but soon she became bossy and started attacking all the guppies during feeding time. Not only that, she also sometimes attack the guppies after eating. Imagine a fish of her size attacking the smaller guppies. It's scary to watch.
Joker77 said:
I guess I'm talking community tanks as species only tanks you probably should know what your getting into beforehand.

For me I guess it would have to be my red eye tetras. They where almost the first fish I bought. I don't really like them because they like to hide(unlike most of my other tetras), eat alot, their rather bland looking and worst of all they annoying steal the algae pellets when I put them in (they are meant for the loaches/plecos). I can't see myself ever buying them again.
I agree. Red eye tetras like to hide a lot. In the case of my tank, they tend to grow smaller than the other tetras because most of them rarely swim to the surface to get food.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom