Fish you own but regret? - Page 3

jake37

Most dither fish like the top; my kribs stay at the bottom but the tank has the following:
6 1 inch aspirogramma
2 nannacara adults
7 kubotai rasbora
4 to 8 guppies (mostly young ones that keep jumping the guppy tank)
--
I suspect it might be how they were raised. They were raised in a breeding tank at the lfs so they were packed in tight with lots of siblings. This might have made them more aggressive. They are around 2 inches long so not quite adults but getting close. I have 5 in the tank but will thin them when they become adults.
-
The tank is a 40B so nice and roomy with lots of hiding places (mostly in the latter 1/2; the front half is more open but will work on adding more shelter in the front).

jkkgron2 said:
Do you have any other dither fish with them? My two haven’t done anything worse than Nip a fin when some fish ventures a bit too close.

jkkgron2

jake37 said:
Most dither fish like the top; my kribs stay at the bottom but the tank has the following:
6 1 inch aspirogramma
2 nannacara adults
7 kubotai rasbora
4 to 8 guppies (mostly young ones that keep jumping the guppy tank)
--
I suspect it might be how they were raised. They were raised in a breeding tank at the lfs so they were packed in tight with lots of siblings. This might have made them more aggressive. They are around 2 inches long so not quite adults but getting close. I have 5 in the tank but will thin them when they become adults.
-
The tank is a 40B so nice and roomy with lots of hiding places (mostly in the latter 1/2; the front half is more open but will work on adding more shelter in the front).
Yeah that might be it. One of mine I got from Petco around a year ago back when I didnt understand stocking stuff so it’s been kept with other fish (in less than great conditions for a short while) since I got it. The other one I bought was actually in similar conditions to yours but it was pretty small when we got it so it grew up with other fish since the very start.

AquaCaitlin

I would have to say I regret guppies In a way, but not too much. I love them and can’t bring myself to get rid of them, but I really need that space for other fish.

jake37

Look at it this way - if you removed the guppies and put some other fish in that tank; then you would regret them because you would need the space for guppies !

AquaCaitlin said:
I would have to say I regret guppies In a way, but not too much. I love them and can’t bring myself to get rid of them, but I really need that space for other fish.

CHJ

If I haven't mentioned I regret teh ~500$ in angles that Anglemania.net ripped me off on.
I ordered pinoys and they send me blacks and blushes. They also seem to be so inbred that they are fragile, by fragile I mean they have been sick for the last year.
Compare that to the ones I got from Liz which are bullet proof.

jake37

Who is Liz ?

CHJ said:
Compare that to the ones I got from Liz which are bullet proof.

CHJ

jake37

jinjerJOSH22

All my non-Asian fish... Well not exactly but kinda.
I have too many species in too few a tanks, while I love owning my Corydoras, my Hoplo Catfish, Ember Tetras, Cardinals and Neons. Not having them would tidy up the tanks a bit, give a bit more room for the species i'm more fond of. (I also have a Royal Farlowella that may actually be my favourite fish, don't tell my Gourami )
It's not like I don't like these fish or enjoy keeping them but if given the option I probably wouldn't of bought them again.

FinalFins

I regret guppies and sorta now my lemons knowing that the other color form of lemon tetras are more attractive than clear yellow

And for good measure I still regret bettas.

Bloodfeather

Well my LFS lied to me so I'm stuck with fish that can't be in my size tank =/
Also they never told me about cycling,,, I lost 6 fish already and now I'm trying to upgrade.

I regret not doing my research.

CHJ

What fish?

jake37

I lost one of my gold zebra; not sure what happened - it was a largish fish at 5 inches - looked like it took 3 or spikes through the middle - but not sure who would have killed it. Oh well i regret owning every fish that died.
--
If my clown loaches reach a foot i will regret them. One fish i do not regret are my kuhli but they are difficult to figure out. I have 4 in one tank that refuse to hide and 4 in another tank that refuse to be seen.

flyinGourami

Sometimes I regret getting fish altogether. They're lovely but they just have so many health problems sometimes... And I'm not the kind of person who can provide treatment for all these health problems(i understand certain issues cannot really be treated), nor am I the kind of person able to even identify all these issues. I know death happens but I feel like a lot of people feel like failures because of it :/.

That being said the one fish I do mostly regret is guppies. Mine were aggressive to each other and didn't have any manners. Not that I as their owner am the most polite person ever though. Lol.

erinw347

I honestly kinda regret my cories. They’re cool but i have 10 of them and they make stocking really difficult because i have kuhli loaches and 2 plecos as well. I started out with 4 but they had babies and i decided to keep some. Idk. I don’t think i’ll ever get rid of them because they are fun, but at the same time, i might take back getting them in the first place.

Willj626

AquaticQueen

I regret mollies. They die pretty easily, but that may be due to the fact I had them in a 10 gallon tank

AquaticQueen

Bloodfeather said:
Well my LFS lied to me so I'm stuck with fish that can't be in my size tank =/
Also they never told me about cycling,,, I lost 6 fish already and now I'm trying to upgrade.

I regret not doing my research.
I'm stuck in a similar situation. My local LFS told me 3 mollies (2m 1f) would be fine in a 10 gallon.

I had no idea about the nitrogen cycle and I lost one fish due to that, and my female molly bullied the other the other male to death, so now I'm down to one.

I also really regret not doing my research

tuggerlake26

I sadly have a tank in my extra bedroom that I put all the misfits in. I know that is terrible, but I want space for other fish.

I have two severums that have gotten really ugly as they've grown. One is orange and the other is brown/green. They are around 6-7" with huge lips. They splash water across the room when they eat. Just a bit too much for me. I've had them for almost five years and they are very resilient fish.

With them I have some black phantom tetras. I feel I always regret tetras because they don't have much personality.

WetRootsNH

Caronsd said:
Where in NH are you? I'm in York Maine
Rollinsford. Sorry for the delay been away from the forum for a while. Miss the app.

Danni524

WetRootsNH said:
Rollinsford. Sorry for the delay been away from the forum for a while. Miss the app.
I'm in the same area as y'all. I'm in Maine too!

JuiceBox52

flyinGourami

JuiceBox52 said:
Any balloon fish. And GloFish
At one point I was thinking bout glo danios... After more and more research glad I dodged that one.

jake37

JuiceBox52

jake37 said:
I avoided this regret; but vowing to never buy either.
I bought GloFish when I first started (I was 11) and same with a single balloon molly. I feel bad about it now

86 ssinit

My wife bought 2 glo-fish. Tetras in a pink color. Amazed at how long they’ve lived. One died at 4 the other is still going. Bright pink. Bought ballon rams. They just looked great none lasted more than a month .

kanzekatores

I regret all fish I buy because soon after I wish I got something else. My stocking ideas for tanks are always changing

mjmi428

My Platys. I loved them, but now my population has gotten way out of control. I've got fry on top of fry on top of fry and I don't know how to stop it. I put an Angelfish from my other tank in there to take care of the problem...it didn't. The Angel didn't care. I put a 3 Spot Gourami from another tank in there...he also did not care. So both are back in their normal tanks. Meanwhile, every day there's just more and more Platys!

jake37

I'm testing betta with guppy frys; if it work will let you know ! One thing is for sure the betta is a much better hunter than the angel; it can really move when it wants....

Debbie1986

I have been saying for past few weeks: snails are a**h***s! Oh a java fern...munch, munch munch! oh water wisteria...munch, munch , munch!

I remind myself they only live a year! my lovely 38 tank is getting shredded despite feeding them cucumber and/or broccoli daily!

Much away buddy, you only got 7 to 8 more months!

* I have about 14 Mystery snails spread over many tanks, so the issue is population size. totally my fault but yes I am muttering about them as I clean out decimated plants. If I only had my original number, this wouldn't be a big issue.

KSo

86 ssinit said:
That’s a Chinese algae eater. Yes nasty fish. I would rehome. Fish I regret would be ballon rams!! Nice looking but just flawed. None live more than 2 months.
No, say it ain’t so! I have a cute electric blue balloon, he’s my favorite. Now I’m going to be giving him heavy side eye!

KSo

Also, sort of regret getting my zebra danio gang, lol the mighty 7. Now that the tank is established I wish I had a little more colorful fish. Guess I just need a bigger tank!

JB92668

I regert buying my double tailed female fighter she is a mean fish bites every thing it can see even the heater cable and sponge filter and me I like her but hate having a mean fish

cdw202x

Not that I bought it, but the peach half blind veil tale betta that was given to me. I've had him for only ten days, but I'm constantly worried about him, with the current issue him being very constipated. On the plus side, he has a lot of spirit and strength, so I'm hoping something works out for him and me, as I am already quite fond of him.

jake37

I'm beginning to regret my kribs. I knew they were aggressive when breeding; but right now they are just kids who are too young to breed and they are super mean. They bit the tail off of 1 orange laser cory; 3 pygmy cory and 2 guppies. Not good. If i knew for sure which one was doing this i'd flush it.
-
I think this is a repeat but my regret is growing daily as my tailless orange laser died grrrrr

Presidenchill

The only fish I ever regretted having

was having no fish at all

Sankalpakc

When I first got my main tank I got a snowball pleco, because it is only supposed to get 2-3 inches long. Basically it was the shyest fish I've ever had. I finally sold him to another hobbyist recently. As far as I can tell, he spent the two years he lived with me living in a single hole in my driftwood, eating that. Somehow he was still fat and healthy when I got rid of him, but he was a $20 fish that contributed nothing to my tank but bioload.

BabsandLoon

Zebra danios. At first I really liked them and the "business" they added to the tank. Now I don't like the business at all. Instead of being nice and relaxing, my tank is a blur of activity with them zipping all over the place. It's a little much for me. I prefer plants and bettas and snails. I also don't mind shrimp. My little gobies I just got are okay. They are active but not zebra danio active.

jake37

Everyone i know with a clown pleco; including myself; have this same problem. With mine his hidy hole is in a place easily reachable so now and then i'll put something yummy just outside and he'll come down look around quickly eat and then go back to his hide-away (underside of a piece of wood he dug out) - er more precisely it is elevated above the substrate - he actually dug a hole into the wood itself - or rather enlarged and smoothed it out so he lives. He allows visitors below him on the substrate but not in his actual hole. Do i regret him - almost - not quite because i know where he is and he will come out to eat - but i have nicer and more interesting pleco. He is the only pleco in that tank but when my lemon get larger i'll probably put a pair in there - right now i'm worried the kribs would rip them up - i figure once they are larger the kribs would be ill-advise to mess with them.

Sankalpakc said:
When I first got my main tank I got a snowball pleco, because it is only supposed to get 2-3 inches long. Basically it was the shyest fish I've ever had. I finally sold him to another hobbyist recently. As far as I can tell, he spent the two years he lived with me living in a single hole in my driftwood, eating that. Somehow he was still fat and healthy when I got rid of him, but he was a $20 fish that contributed nothing to my tank but bioload.

flyinGourami

Oh yeah- I do regret getting a smaller tank. So many fish I cannot have lol.

MomeWrath

jake37 said:
Everyone i know with a clown pleco; including myself; have this same problem. With mine his hidy hole is in a place easily reachable so now and then i'll put something yummy just outside and he'll come down look around quickly eat and then go back to his hide-away (underside of a piece of wood he dug out) - er more precisely it is elevated above the substrate - he actually dug a hole into the wood itself - or rather enlarged and smoothed it out so he lives. He allows visitors below him on the substrate but not in his actual hole. Do i regret him - almost - not quite because i know where he is and he will come out to eat - but i have nicer and more interesting pleco. He is the only pleco in that tank but when my lemon get larger i'll probably put a pair in there - right now i'm worried the kribs would rip them up - i figure once they are larger the kribs would be ill-advise to mess with them.
I agree on the clown pleco. When you see them they are really cool to look at but it's so rare to actually see them! I don't regret mine really, but between the hiding pleco and the equally hiding smiling acara, my 30 gallon looks like all it holds is 5 brilliant rasbora and a very bored angelfish.

Joshaeus

Mt betta smaragdina pair...they are so incompatible that all they did when I tried to breed them was fight. I have a limit to how many gallons of tank my landlord allows me to have and my room is not very large, so having a pair of fish split between two tanks is an issue.

HonorAlexandria

a pair "ghost" shrimp which were definitely NOT ghost shrimp and caused no small amount of havoc in peaceful tanks.

I don't think I'll ever trust ghost shrimp, no matter where I'm buying.

Also neon tetras.

BettaWatch

Serpae Tetra. They were only supposed to get about an inch long but they are bigger than that and they ganged up on my betta. They are now living in another tank. And I really dislike them. Poor serpae tetra. Yeah right, poor my betta male with his nipped fins.

Caronsd

BettaWatch said:
Serpae Tetra. They were only supposed to get about an inch long but they are bigger than that and they ganged up on my betta. They are now living in another tank. And I really dislike them. Poor serpae tetra. Yeah right, poor my betta male with his nipped fins.
That's disappointing... i just bought a dozen of these for my Ram and Angel tank...

A201

This guy! (Red Zebra) In recent months he has gone insane w/ hyper aggression & excessive excavation behavior. I've tried all I know to curve those undesirable tendencies but to no avail.
He has been tranfered to my 65 gal. reserve tank, where he promptly injured a Red Empress so badly she had to be euthanized. His future is uncertain. Maybe I'll think of something. Lol.

UnknownUser

My harlequin rasboras, they are not really good in a 10 as they sit in one spot and do nothing. In the 20 they seem more active. But they still aren't my favorite fish. Back when I tried to start a tank, I tried a molly who bullied my whole tank immediately and was instantly removed. Also a black skirt tetra who bullied and killed my guppy. Both the molly and black skirt tetra were removed and taken back to the store the next day.

frogmastertimmy

Not a fish i regret buying but more of the quantity i got. When i purchased my albino cory i was not aware they schooled and only got 1 i later added another and how have 2 but i still feel bad for them

Kjeldsen

My Kribs. They're too mean to mate, and I had to put in a divider. Can't put any other fish with them either. Runner-up is the BN pleco that I rarely see but whose bioload is a constant reminder.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom