Fish you own but regret? - Page 2

jake37

I keep swordtails in my guppy tank. It helps balance things out.

Deku-Cory said:
Guppies. They just bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred...... I think I had about 50 generations live and die in my tank. They're a super cool fish if you want to breed and sell them, but as a fish that you're not particularly dedicated to, they can be a nightmare. I eventually gave them all to Petco.

Sometimes I see a really cool guppy and I think to myself "Oh, it would be cool to breed those!" Then I remember what it was like having them.

Falena

KinderScout said:
Early on they were real characters - chased each other all over. As the planting became more dense we saw less of them. After 2 1/2 years we have 3 or 4 left (2 separate sudden deaths and one MIA) - hard to say they rarely come out at once. They like to hang out at the bottom back corner. Shame cos they do look nice and deffo have personality.
Oh dear, sorry to hear it!
I haven't moved mine into the heavy planted tank yet, I hope they stay bold as they are now. I have noticed fasting them and feeding them sparingly seems to encourage them to be out all the time. But I have 10 and they are young so it might be different for you.

CHJ

I hate my angels that angelmania.net sold me as pinoy and pinoy paraiba angels but are actually just blacks and blushes. Getting taken for 4-500$ can make you hate some fish.
God do I hate those fish each time I see them.

GlennO

I bought some Platies recently thinking that they would add some colour to my main tank. But I can’t warm to them, I guess livebearers aren’t my thing. Oh well they can keep my quarantine tank cycled.

I had a Festivum Cichlid that I had to return. Lovely fish but it started to treat my plants as an all you can eat salad bar.

greylady

I purchased 3 Zebra Danio's once and they were spastic all the time. They darted from one end of the tank to the other constantly and got absolutely huge, close to 4". They scared the daylights out of all the other fish and eventually started chasing each other not just the other fish. I finally gave them away because I wanted a serene calm tank and they were just not cooperating lol

blubetta said:
I don't want to hijack the OP post but this is him , I know he isn't a pleco because he has been about 3 inch for 2 years now. But he does dart fast so hard to get a good pic
Pretty sure that is a Chinese Algae Eater (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri)

GlennO

greylady said:
I purchased 3 Zebra Danio's once and they were spastic all the time. They darted from one end of the tank to the other constantly and got absolutely huge, close to 4". They scared the daylights out of all the other fish and eventually started chasing each other not just the other fish. I finally gave them away because I wanted a serene calm tank and they were just not cooperating lol
If they got to 4" they would be Giant Danio's not Zebra's.

greylady

GlennO said:
If they got to 4" they would be Giant Danio's not Zebra's.
Ok, Giant Danios then, all I know is they were labeled Zebra Danio's and they were stripped and spastic! LOL

Another regret, my Nerite snail. I had her for about 3 years then just couldn't take the (impossible to remove) white eggs all over everything, and I mean everything! Finally gave her to my LFS also.

skar

KingJamal2 said:
Yeah, they would be perfect in a small tank. But I have them in a 40 breeder, which makes them not so interesting
I have about 20 mixed micros in a 75.
I think they are awesome !!

Awaken_Riceball_

I don't have any regrets right now, but in the future I might because I really want to own a Vampire Tetra one day. The teeth are just wow'zer. If anyone had experience, then please share if you had any regrets!

StarGirl

My Von Rio tetras and red eye tetras. The rios are just big white doughballs with no color. They both just hog food.

KinderScout

Awaken_Riceball_ said:
I don't have any regrets right now, but in the future I might because I really want to own a Vampire Tetra one day. The teeth are just wow'zer. If anyone had experience, then please share if you had any regrets!
I looked 'em up and found that in the wild their main source of food is Piranha eek!

MomeWrath

Convicts. Two females. Arguably the most beautiful, colorful fish I have, but wow... just mean. Mean to everyone. I don't think it would matter if my tank was 350 gallons they would chase everyone all the time for no reason.

Awaken_Riceball_

KinderScout said:
I looked 'em up and found that in the wild their main source of food is Piranha eek!
Yep! The bad attitude is why I want to own one! Watched a few videos in YouTube, and it is awesome to watch while others may find it disturbing so I won't link for that purpose.

CichlidJynx

I lost interest in my Dwarf GouramI soon after purchase, thankfully my fiancé had a community tank she was willing to house him in and now she loves him but that was one of my first tanks I’ve ever wanted to just throw away

KinderScout

CichlidJynx said:
I lost interest in my Dwarf GouramI soon after purchase, thankfully my fiancé had a community tank she was willing to house him in and now she loves him but that was one of my first tanks I’ve ever wanted to just throw away
You're going to need a seriously BIG tank too - theselook to be 1.2 metres long in the wild - .3 metres in captivity. And maybe spare fingers too.... good luck!

CichlidJynx

KinderScout said:
You're going to need a seriously BIG tank too - theselook to be 1.2 metres long in the wild - .3 metres in captivity. And maybe spare fingers too.... good luck!
You might be thinking of a kissing gourami, the dwarf Gouramis will only grow 3-4 inches at most

Spulvert

love/hate my 3 spot gourami, can only add tiger barbs, corys and boesmanI rainbows, anything else gets bullied and returned to LFS

KinderScout

CichlidJynx said:
You might be thinking of a kissing gourami, the dwarf Gouramis will only grow 3-4 inches at most
oops - I meant to reply to Awaken_Riceball_ about Vampire Tetras!

WhiskeyGinger

Gold gourami! Beautiful fish, but a total bully.

jake37

Our first real fish was a 3 spot gourami. Sadly after having it for 2 or 3 years we were cleaning the tank so stuck him in a fishbowl. The pet store said he probably suffocated. We were not happy but **** happens when you are 8.

Spulvert said:
love/hate my 3 spot gourami, can only add tiger barbs, corys and boesmanI rainbows, anything else gets bullied and returned to LFS

jake37

3 foot long tetra ? That is a wee bit than larger than green tetra

KinderScout said:
oops - I meant to reply to Awaken_Riceball_ about Vampire Tetras!

Joker77

Cody said:
Do you have a picture handy? I’ve been curious to see some that are more mature? I’ve seen pictures that look like they can get pretty chubby! Lol

Managed to snap one of them they came out of hiding. One good thing ill say about them is that they are a very tight grouping fish and when they move they move in a single file that looks pretty neat but otherwise F*ckThisFish

RDcompton03

I no longer have them, its been about 15 years, but did regret my predator tank. The problem I had was that the tank stayed sick because of the problems I brought in from the feeder fish. Sick feeder fish resulted in sick predators.

Demeter

jake37

Odd. I had two (at different times). Neitehr was skittish; one would hang out on the heater all day long so I could always find him. The other would bury it self in my jungle but come out during dinner time. I eventually gave the 2nd to the lfs to free up bio-space. The first - well I really liked it a lot but I had a bad otto that wiped out 2/3 of my tank including on of my beloved meyers kuhli. Hum - didn't someone say something about qt'ing new fishes.

Anyway the one on the heater didn't even bother to move when I adjusted the temp - he would just skiddle to the other side of the heater until I was done.

Demeter said:
Upside down catfish, I never see them and they are so skittish when I do spot them.

Demeter

jake37 said:
Odd. I had two (at different times). Neitehr was skittish; one would hang out on the heater all day long so I could always find him. The other would bury it self in my jungle but come out during dinner time. I eventually gave the 2nd to the lfs to free up bio-space. The first - well I really liked it a lot but I had a bad otto that wiped out 2/3 of my tank including on of my beloved meyers kuhli. Hum - didn't someone say something about qt'ing new fishes.

Anyway the one on the heater didn't even bother to move when I adjusted the temp - he would just skiddle to the other side of the heater until I was done.
I had three in a 29gal. One was bullied by the 2 and later diet of infection. I separated the other two to prevent fighting and both stick to the driftwood like glue in their 29 and 36gal tank. Their larger lace cat cousin is far more entertaining as she’s a rambunctious beast in the 55gal.

jake37

Who are the featherfin tank mates? Was reading up on it and it seems to not do well with other bottom feaders (cory, otto, loaches) but to be honest not a lot is written about them - pretty fish.

Demeter said:
I had three in a 29 gallon. One was bullied by the 2 and later diet of infection. I separated the other two to prevent fighting and both stick to the driftwood like glue in their 29 and 36gal tank. Their larger lace cat cousin is far more entertaining as she’s a rambunctious beast in the 55 gallon.

Cody

Joker77 said:
Managed to snap one of them they came out of hiding. One good thing ill say about them is that they are a very tight grouping fish and when they move they move in a single file that looks pretty neat but otherwise F*ckThisFish

I would definitely call them fat and happy!

aidanfish2002

Joker77 said:
I guess I'm talking community tanks as species only tanks you probably should know what your getting into beforehand.

For me I guess it would have to be my red eye tetras. They where almost the first fish I bought. I don't really like them because they like to hide(unlike most of my other tetras), eat alot, their rather bland looking and worst of all they annoying steal the algae pellets when I put them in (they are meant for the loaches/plecos). I can't see myself ever buying them again.
I 100% agree with you. Red eye tetras just aren't great fish. I have 2 and yeah, boring fish.

aidanfish2002

theyre
Cody said:
I just picked up 6 Red Eyes this week! Lol
boring fish

Cody

aidanfish2002 said:
theyre

boring fish
Yeah kind of regretting them a little now. But I was looking for something bigger that an Angelfish wouldn’t eat so they fit the requirements.

aidanfish2002

jake37 said:
Maybe get 2 more so they come out ? I have 6 for a year now and while one tends to hide the other 5 are always out. I love that they don't nip anyone.
-
Fish I regret owning:
the gold zebra that jumped out; if the other 6 jump out I'll regret owning them. So far great fishes with lots of personality and very outgoing.
clown loaches that are scared of their own shadows. Largest fish in the tank that if I blink while watching them run and hide.
massive angelfish that snacked on cardinals. Didn't help that he was ughly. No clue why he was massive all his siblings where 2 inches smaller.
gold ram that died - absolutely gorgeous fish with tons of personalities but they died.
Petrified kuhli. This one I can't figure out - I have 18 kuhlI across three tanks and only 4 of them are petrified of any movement. I'm trying to decide if I put a non-petrified kuhlI with them if it will be come petrified or if the petrified kuhlI will unpetrified.
-
So far I don't have any major regrets - even my serpae tetra have been very well behaved. I did have a couple of angels that were beating each other to a pulp with serious damage but I transfer one to another tank and now everyone is happy.
Clown loaches are very skittish fish. Keep the nitrates down and the skittish behavior will improve. I've got 6 of them and they do swim away fast in a school whenever I come near the tank. And like you said, my biggest one watches me while I watch them and I have blinked before and saw freak out and swim into a cave. So yeah they are skittish fish but sometimes its likely that they are overly skittish because of something wrong with the water. Most likely high nitrates.

jake37

Nitrate is 15ppm - is that too high ?

aidanfish2002 said:
Clown loaches are very skittish fish. Keep the nitrates down and the skittish behavior will improve. I've got 6 of them and they do swim away fast in a school whenever I come near the tank. And like you said, my biggest one watches me while I watch them and I have blinked before and saw freak out and swim into a cave. So yeah they are skittish fish but sometimes its likely that they are overly skittish because of something wrong with the water. Most likely high nitrates.

Cgtoxic

Guppies because I now have a pair and over 24 fries in a 7.5 gallon tank and the fish store no longer taking livebearers.

toeknee

I don't regret any fish. But I do regret lot's of plants. I just have too many, have no space for many and I can't even see half of them from being grown over by other plants.

Demeter

jake37 said:
Who are the featherfin tank mates? Was reading up on it and it seems to not do well with other bottom feaders (cory, otto, loaches) but to be honest not a lot is written about them - pretty fish.
Featherfins and lace cats are different species but basically the same size and behaviors. Featherfins have the fancy dorsal while laces do not. Mine is with African cichlids, mainly peacocks.

SaltyPhone

For me it was Cambodian long suckers. I purchased them online as SAE. They have been fun to watch so; I don’t necessarily regret them more so then buying them from a less than reputable seller. It wasn’t till after my purchase that I looked up said seller’s reviews. I’ll never make that mistake twice

Amya

I have to say my least favorite are the tetras I've had. Seem kind of mindless, no personality. I prefer barbs in my community tank, they are small schooling fish with personality. The tetras remind me of the seagulls in Finding Nemo.

Danni524

I'm new to community tanks, but have had plenty of bettas. I tend to be the kind of person that goes for the saddest looking betta in their cup and take it home. I wanted to give it a good life, but for the most part, they died very soon because they were sick or too stressed from cup life.

619CoryFan

Scatophagus argus. Fed it anything and everything several times a day and still ate all the leaves off my plants. Wouldn't surprise me if that single fish contributed half of the bioload in my 60 gal. It was also aggressive towards my leaf fish at times.

SeaMonkey06

None of my fish. My mystery? Different story. Such a huge waste producer! He's lucky I love him though Won't get rid of him but will definitely not get any more!

jake37

Not all tetras are created equal. Which type did you have ?

Amya said:
I have to say my least favorite are the tetras I've had. Seem kind of mindless, no personality. I prefer barbs in my community tank, they are small schooling fish with personality. The tetras remind me of the seagulls in Finding Nemo.

smee82

The neon tetras I bought for my wife. Thankfully ive got rid off the lot of them

Addictedtobettas

I’m starting to feel like:

siamese algae eater
&
Panda garra

mostly because I don’t feel I have the tank setups for them to be truly happy and healthy and it’s highly unlikely I’ll be getting another large tank for at least 3 months. My choices seem to be leaving them miserable in smaller tanks or making the 45g miserable with their .. energetic ways.
Panda garra at least has figured out going up and into the filter pump section but also coming back over. So huzzah there.
The SAE is just too friendly and inquisitive to fish that don’t wish for it.

Caronsd

WetRootsNH said:
If you were/are near seacoast New Hampshire I'd take every last one of them!
Where in NH are you? I'm in York Maine

jkkgron2

Well for long term it’s probably my kuhli loaches because they don’t come out much until nighttime when I’m about to go sleep. But right now it’s my female bn pleco cause she caught HITH!! I wouldn’t have bought her if I knew she had it. Luckily I have meds to treat it but I’m annoyed with her right now (I know it’s not her fault, I just had an angel die of HITH when I first started fishkeeping and now that’s one of the diseases that kinda freaks me out)

jake37

I'm beginning to regret buying the kribs. They aren't adults yet but they are eating off the tails on all my corys I have a tank full of tail-less corys.

jkkgron2

jake37 said:
I'm beginning to regret buying the kribs. They aren't adults yet but they are eating off the tails on all my corys I have a tank full of tail-less corys.
Do you have any other dither fish with them? My two haven’t done anything worse than Nip a fin when some fish ventures a bit too close.

Fae

Kiiiiind of regret Lemon Tetras, they were my first fish I bought for my community tank and I knew nothing about them or any other fish really.

They grew much bigger than the pet store said and they are like pirhannas when they eat, it's hard to feed everyone else with them in the tank!

I honestly wouldn't regret them though if I had a bigger tank, and oh if PetSmart hadn't sold me 8 males and 1 female >.> Trying to rehome them is difficult

faydout

Lol, I love my Lemons. I've got 20 in a 55G. My trick with feeding them (they really do remind me of mini piranhas at feeding time) is distraction. I feed them their flakes... which the cichlids help them out with, then I drop some rehydrated bloodworms in to keep them busy. Meanwhile, I've already soaked, prepared and loaded the turkey baster for the cichlids and spray their pellets / bloodworms through the taller plants that the Lemons don't go back in.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom