Fish you own but regret?

Joker77

I guess I'm talking community tanks as species only tanks you probably should know what your getting into beforehand.

For me I guess it would have to be my red eye tetras. They where almost the first fish I bought. I don't really like them because they like to hide(unlike most of my other tetras), eat alot, their rather bland looking and worst of all they annoying steal the algae pellets when I put them in (they are meant for the loaches/plecos). I can't see myself ever buying them again.

JettsPapa

Feohw

I don't really regret any. But I guess if there was one then it would be neon tetras. They were my first fish alongside a betta. I was attracted to them for their flashy colours, but they seem very lifeless after you get over that. No personality, nothing interesting about them tbh. They float soullessly about the tank doing nothing of interest. I've learned that I like the deep-bodied tetras more.

A201

I no longer keep these fish. Most, not for a "very" many years.
- Red Tail Catfish
- Shovel Nose Catfish
- Pacu
- Dovii
- Auratus
- Flowerhorn
- Iridescent Shark

That's about it. Most of the listed were Traded back to the LFS when I realized a mistake was made.

blubetta

I had a molly once that was such a bully to the others

I also have this weird algae eater I can't figure out the name of and he is so mean !!!!!!

fishkeeper19524

Probably my otocinclis, since they are supposed to live in groups and I can't seem to find any stores that have healthy fish

MissNoodle

blubetta said:
I also have this weird algae eater I can't figure out the name of and he is so mean !!!!!!
Photos?

teedog

I have a 6 inch Flagtail Prochilodous that just doesn`t fir into the setup I`m currently changing.
Great fish but I must re-home him soon.

EmiliyaCossack

a female betta I bought recently from a breeder who told me she was very good as a community fish but turned out to be a jerk. I'm keeping her alone for now, not sure what I'm going to do for her but I am attached to her little oddities since she was born with a scrunched-up face. however I'm a little irritated that I like her since it would be so much easier to get rid of her then trying to build around her LOL.

blubetta

MissNoodle said:
I don't want to hijack the OP post but this is him , I know he isn't a pleco because he has been about 3 inch for 2 years now. But he does dart fast so hard to get a good pic

KingJamal2

Joker77 said:
I guess I'm talking community tanks as species only tanks you probably should know what your getting into beforehand.

For me I guess it would have to be my red eye tetras. They where almost the first fish I bought. I don't really like them because they like to hide(unlike most of my other tetras), eat alot, their rather bland looking and worst of all they annoying steal the algae pellets when I put them in (they are meant for the loaches/plecos). I can't see myself ever buying them again.
ChilI Rasboras. They don’t really do anything and I hardly see them. I didn’t even intend to buy them, but oh well

Cody

Joker77 said:

I just picked up 6 Red Eyes this week! Lol

FinalFins

I regret bettas

kallililly1973

blubetta said:
I don't want to hijack the OP post but this is him , I know he isn't a pleco because he has been about 3 inch for 2 years now. But he does dart fast so hard to get a good pic
probably a chinese algae eater. I hear they get mean as they get bigger and will suck the slime coat off your fish.
I only a tiny bit regret getting guppies cause they are the reason I have 7 tanks now. Their beautiful but it would be nice to have one tank without them

Sprinkle

Sometimes I regret buying actually fish overall.

MissNoodle

Hmmm id say I regret cories. Because theyre so adorable and addictive and I don't have enough tanks for more but I want more.

blubetta said:
Yeah a chinese algae eater. Needs a 55 gallon tank or larger and they become more carnivorous as they grow and will often attack other fish.

saltwater60

My choprae danios. They bite the fins on my other fish. I’m thinking of getting rid of them.

86 ssinit

That’s a Chinese algae eater. Yes nasty fish. I would rehome. Fish I regret would be ballon rams!! Nice looking but just flawed. None live more than 2 months.

AlsCritters

JettsPapa said:
Neon and cardinal tetras. They seem too fragile.
Hahaha, for me neons are hardy and I got them at petco, I had 8 zebra danios, 12 neons, and 1 dwarf gourami, while in college, I lost 6 zebra danios, not sure what happened, as my parents said they just disappeared. Check to see my parameters and it was 0,0,10. So not really sure how the danios died. Neon and dwarf are nice and colored up tho!

DuaneV

Right now, my Convicts. Theyre a HUGE Pain and I really wish I could just have someone come pick them up. Theyre in a species only tank, they fight constantly and I'm sick of their trouble. lol

redtetra

I regret neon tetras. Beautiful fish but for me have been far too fragile.

I was starting to regret the danios but they have grown on me and I enjoy that tank more now. But I won't be buying more.

ZAN

Feohw said:
I don't really regret any. But I guess if there was one then it would be neon tetras. They were my first fish alongside a betta. I was attracted to them for their flashy colours, but they seem very lifeless after you get over that. No personality, nothing interesting about them tbh. They float soullessly about the tank doing nothing of interest. I've learned that I like the deep-bodied tetras more.

I make all my fish hunt for their food now. I let it sink to the bottom in the plants and turn the flow off for an hour and the fish swim around looking for food... otherwise yes they just hover there lol

I would say my betta because he is such a mean butt and requires his own set up. I've seen a lot of people put their betta in the community tank but nope-- not this guy! he lost NO time in trying to kill everyone.

abovo

My common plecostomus for the usual reasons. I was getting back in to the hobby after 20 years and must have had a dwarf pleco previously. I bought a juvenile pleco 9 years ago and now it’s huge. It lives in a 100 gallon tank and doesn’t seem to bother any fish except my Raphael Catfish.

Perhaps when I make my pond outside I can re-home the pleco.

Dewclaw83

I know you said community tank fish... but definitely regret my domestic bettas. I love them dearly, but they just have so many health problems! I wish I hadn’t bought them in the first place so I wouldn’t have gotten so attached

As for community fish, I could say the glassfish but that’s just because they’re not what I ordered at all and CAN’T go in my community lol. Otherwise, I regret my ram. Again, I love him dearly, but I’ve been shuffling him around trying to find him a good tank and it’s just not working...

teedog

I`ve had those Chines Algae eaters many years ago...........real aggressive harrasing and chasing other fish and as said known to suck the slime coats off of other fish.

Personally,I`d get rid of it ASAP>

Corydork

My angelfish. All she does is lay eggs (there’s no male in the tank) and then attack every fish that swims within a foot of wherever she lays. Honestly, if anyone wants her she’s a year old and you only need to pay for shipping

Joker77

Cody said:
I just picked up 6 Red Eyes this week! Lol
Want 6 more lol. Mine are big and fat

MCh4mm3r

I have a Texas cichlid and a Nicaraguan cichlid I regret buying the nic is hideous and the Texas is a real a. Hole

KinderScout

Our Rosy Tetras. These days they hide at the back of the tank and only come out for food. Feel bad for waiting for them to 'die out' though .

Cody

Joker77 said:
Want 6 more lol. Mine are big and fat
Do you have a picture handy? I’ve been curious to see some that are more mature? I’ve seen pictures that look like they can get pretty chubby! Lol

Peter M

Probably my clown pleco. Almost never see him but manage to siphon up like a pound of his poop every waterchange. I also kind of second the neon tetras. Very nice looking fish but don't really do anything lol.

ShastaDaisy

KingJamal2 said:
ChilI Rasboras. They don’t really do anything and I hardly see them. I didn’t even intend to buy them, but oh well
Really? I thought about them for a small Blackwater aquarium. But not so interesting?

jassigrewal

molly was one fish that is too difficult for me to handle.

Bry

I have never fully regretted a fish but there are a few with regret around them.
1. Upside down catfish- Thought it was a community syndontis that got a few inches. After it killed a dozen or so cichlids and six goldfish, I found out it was some asian black upside down catfish that is Really AGGRESSIVE and apparently was supposed to get like 8-12 inches.
2. My goldfish- At one point I had turned my 55 gallon into a goldfish community tank. Had five baby fantails. Every. Single. Fish. I bought died within four months. (this went on for over a year) Tried buying at different stores at different times. Tried buying from a breeder. Had my water tested many times. Drained the tank completely and redid it and they all died. I loved the little guys but I have so much heartache about it now.
3. Electric Blue Jack Dempsey- It is a dream of mine to keep one of these fish but I've tried four times and they always die. Get a baby one, water is perfect, they'd be healthy and active and swimming, chased the nerites around and the pleco. Then one day dead. Happened on four separate occasions. Desperately want to keep one, but it just doesn't workout for me.

Falena

I am with some others here in regretting Bettas. I regret any long finned betta I've bought especially, I have two long finned bettas still kicking it. A veiltail and a double tail half moon. The veiltail bites his tail and has fin rot on a regular basis regardless of pristine water. And the double tail half moon is stunted and has terrible trouble with the weight of his fins, he has very special care requirements. I love my little special aqua pups but I will only keep or breed plakats after experiences with hm/dt/dumbo ect I noticed they don't live often longer than 2 years whereas I've had plakats/hmpks make it to 7.
I almost always import my plakats from Indonesia or Thailand from reputable smaller scale breeders or local breeders that log their breedings so their health is traceable through lineage and selective breeding now, because the poor things are just so over bred in huge quantities without any regard for health anymore. Any store bought betta in the past few years has ended in heartbreak

Addictedtobettas

Joker77 said:

After my tragic tanks in early aquarium years I couldn’t bear to get tetras or rasboras again. So full of the wrong kinds of trouble. Don’t know why they’re always touted as ideal betta companions.

MattB72 said:
I was trying to remember how they were as I stared at a tank of them earlier today. They reminded me too much of the German rams in personality. And I’ve fallen for my honey GouramI additions which I know are more docile.
Good to know they’re bullies
EmiliyaCossack said:
a female betta I bought recently from a breeder who told me she was very good as a community fish but turned out to be a jerk. I'm keeping her alone for now, not sure what I'm going to do for her but I am attached to her little oddities since she was born with a scrunched-up face. however I'm a little irritated that I like her since it would be so much easier to get rid of her then trying to build around her LOL.
That sounds familiar. I got my female blue betta and wasn’t ready for her. She’s a big Bully (capital B) that I quickly grew to adore.
Now I’m having to figure out a very unique tank just for her. I thought she’d rule the 45 but she didn’t just rule it... she was out to conquer it.

I guess I ‘regret’ the last 2 angelfish I got. I love the first one, Mickey.

But the 2nd one almost ended up back at the fish store, until her brain got addled from the ph drop (I think?), and I feel awful about that - even if it was the drop only bringing out a parasite infection. She’s (I think it’s a she) now very calm but also seems daft.

And the 3rd? Sick and picked on at the chain store I thought I’d give them the nice new quarantine tank. But it had a rubbish filter and they were too sick to live long in there. Maybe they had a nice few days out of that horrible chain store but maybe they were just extra stressed.

I kinda regret the Electric Blue Rams. I know they too came from a weak batch of ebrs but I wasn’t ready for them anyhow. The male was a bossy jerk to a stressed out female and then he got bullied by my Nut (lady betta) which stressed him out.. that was a mess I wish I had known more to possibly avoid.

KingJamal2

ShastaDaisy said:
Really? I thought about them for a small Blackwater aquarium. But not so interesting?
Yeah, they would be perfect in a small tank. But I have them in a 40 breeder, which makes them not so interesting

Falena

KinderScout said:
Our Rosy Tetras. These days they hide at the back of the tank and only come out for food. Feel bad for waiting for them to 'die out' though .
Really!? I have white tipped h.bentosI that are bonkers and hilariously entertaining, that's interesting. I know there's a slight difference, but I thought they were practically the same?

Rev

My Cherry Shrimp. And only because I put them in a 5 gallon betta tank and that was a very expensive mistake. I was so thrilled to get them they were so cool! And then super sad as he started picking them off. When my betta dies it's becoming a shrimp tank for a while.

AcuarioAmazonico

KinderScout

Falena said:
Really!? I have white tipped h.bentosI that are bonkers and hilariously entertaining, that's interesting. I know there's a slight difference, but I thought they were practically the same?
Early on they were real characters - chased each other all over. As the planting became more dense we saw less of them. After 2 1/2 years we have 3 or 4 left (2 separate sudden deaths and one MIA) - hard to say they rarely come out at once. They like to hang out at the bottom back corner. Shame cos they do look nice and deffo have personality.

WetRootsNH

saltwater60 said:
My choprae danios. They bite the fins on my other fish. I’m thinking of getting rid of them.
If you were/are near seacoast New Hampshire I'd take every last one of them!

jake37

Maybe get 2 more so they come out ? I have 6 for a year now and while one tends to hide the other 5 are always out. I love that they don't nip anyone.
-
Fish I regret owning:
the gold zebra that jumped out; if the other 6 jump out I'll regret owning them. So far great fishes with lots of personality and very outgoing.
clown loaches that are scared of their own shadows. Largest fish in the tank that if I blink while watching them run and hide.
massive angelfish that snacked on cardinals. Didn't help that he was ughly. No clue why he was massive all his siblings where 2 inches smaller.
gold ram that died - absolutely gorgeous fish with tons of personalities but they died.
Petrified kuhli. This one I can't figure out - I have 18 kuhlI across three tanks and only 4 of them are petrified of any movement. I'm trying to decide if I put a non-petrified kuhlI with them if it will be come petrified or if the petrified kuhlI will unpetrified.
-
So far I don't have any major regrets - even my serpae tetra have been very well behaved. I did have a couple of angels that were beating each other to a pulp with serious damage but I transfer one to another tank and now everyone is happy.

KinderScout said:
Early on they were real characters - chased each other all over. As the planting became more dense we saw less of them. After 2 1/2 years we have 3 or 4 left (2 separate sudden deaths and one MIA) - hard to say they rarely come out at once. They like to hang out at the bottom back corner. Shame cos they do look nice and deffo have personality.

KinderScout

jake37 said:
Maybe get 2 more so they come out ? I have 6 for a year now and while one tends to hide the other 5 are always out. I love that they don't nip anyone.
-
Fish I regret owning:
the gold zebra that jumped out; if the other 6 jump out I'll regret owning them. So far great fishes with lots of personality and very outgoing.
clown loaches that are scared of their own shadows. Largest fish in the tank that if I blink while watching them run and hide.
massive angelfish that snacked on cardinals. Didn't help that he was ughly. No clue why he was massive all his siblings where 2 inches smaller.
gold ram that died - absolutely gorgeous fish with tons of personalities but they died.
Petrified kuhli. This one I can't figure out - I have 18 kuhlI across three tanks and only 4 of them are petrified of any movement. I'm trying to decide if I put a non-petrified kuhlI with them if it will be come petrified or if the petrified kuhlI will unpetrified.
-
So far I don't have any major regrets - even my serpae tetra have been very well behaved. I did have a couple of angels that were beating each other to a pulp with serious damage but I transfer one to another tank and now everyone is happy.
We had six for 18 months - they started hiding when the plants grew not after we lost a couple. We thought we had 4 for two months at one point - but we still had six :/ we only know we have 4 now cost we found the corpses. Last was 8 months back so overall the remaining ones seem healthy and happy in their own way.

FishFanLady

teedog said:
I have a 6 inch Flagtail Prochilodous that just doesn`t fir into the setup I`m currently changing.
Great fish but I must re-home him soon.
Similar time here with my turquoise rainbow. I had a pair and the female died so I know he’s not entertained by the tetra friends he keeps.

HitzBlack

SA Bumblebee Catfish. I see it maybe once a month. Often wonder if it is still alive in there. Pretty cool looking when it a actually comes out. Also, my male marbled molly who chased the male sailfin to death

JettsPapa

FishFanLady said:
Similar time here with my turquoise rainbow. I had a pair and the female died so I know he’s not entertained by the tetra friends he keeps.
If you're in the southeast Texas area, or want to try shipping it, I have a home for him. I have 12 now (11 in my 65 gallon tank and 1 in quarantine for another week or so).

magentatooth

KinderScout said:
I have one lone rosy tetra in an under stocked 130L and also waiting for them to live out their life. LFS not ever stocked this fish so I doubt it will ever get back to a shoal.
I mainly feel bad for them

Deku-Cory

Guppies. They just bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred. And bred...... I think I had about 50 generations live and die in my tank. They're a super cool fish if you want to breed and sell them, but as a fish that you're not particularly dedicated to, they can be a nightmare. I eventually gave them all to Petco.

Sometimes I see a really cool guppy and I think to myself "Oh, it would be cool to breed those!" Then I remember what it was like having them.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom